Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: 109 at 109, what a waste of time

It was actually Eastbay who kept me from moving to the $109's sooner than I did (and Lacky, too.) Eastbay posted better results than I had at the $55's and Lacky had similar numbers. Both posted unimpressive results at the $109's, and Eastbay's in particular kept me from moving up for much longer than my bankroll would have allowed.

Then I retrieved my testicles from wherever they were hiding and made the jump. It was rough and I had to survive my worst downswing ever (42 buy-ins), but after 1000 I now "know" that the $109's are soft if you have some post flop skill.

Until Eastbay's admission above about a lack of focus, I couldn't explain why he couldn't beat the $109's for a good clip. Now it makes sense. Basic SNG strategy/non-exploitable push-fold tactics/ 2+2 ICM modeling will kill the lower limits and ensure that you beat the rake at the $109's and $215's. But beating those levels for more than the rake definitely requires the ability and attention necessary to identify where some free chips may lie so that they may be extracted whenever available.

Along those lines... for what it's worth; I feel like I could 16 or maybe even 20-table the $22's while posting on 2+2 and checking out the "perfect pose of the week" on PersianKitty for a profit but I would never try playing more than 8 $109's at a time because I feel that the ability to play the turn is so much more important at that level.

Irieguy
Old 05-31-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Until Eastbay's admission above about a lack of focus, I couldn't explain why he couldn't beat the $109's for a good clip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehem. eastbay can, and eastbay does.

But you're right, I didn't, when I initially just brought my $55 strategy straight in. That's a nominally breakeven way to play at $109.

eastbay
Old 05-31-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I never doubted you could. But your only published results were an allusion to a dismal 1000 after crushing the $55's. I am happy to hear that it was just a blip.

Irieguy
Old 05-31-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I never doubted you could. But your only published results were an allusion to a dismal 1000 after crushing the $55's. I am happy to hear that it was just a blip.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so much a blip as an adjustment period. It took awhile to get the rhythm of $109. IMO it's still a much bigger jump from $55 to $109 than it is between any two levels below.

eastbay
Old 05-31-2005, 01:15 AM

Irieguy,

thx for the post. i'm jumping out of the 109's now.

i suck at post flop and have no idea about situations where there are free chips for grabs.

and mainly i don't trust my reads since i've gotten so burned by them.

ie: he's bluffing but turns out he's not. or he wont defend his blinds w/o a good hand, and calls my j4o steal with k2o. or multiple limpers at lvl3, and i do a pvs w/any2 in the bb and get called by jqo.

btw- what's your itm/roi at the 109's recently with your ability to do reads and play post flop? (and over how many games?)
Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

IMO it's still a much bigger jump from $55 to $109 than it is between any two levels below.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the jump from playmoney to the $6's much more difficult.

Irieguy