Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Strassa in SI

[ QUOTE ]
"I feel really bad when I see some kid waking up at 7 a.m. to mow the golf course for $7 an hour," says Duke student Jason Strasser, who did not go to Las Vegas for spring break -- instead he went to Vienna, Austria, to compete in a European Poker Tour event with a $2,800 buy-in. "It's such a sucker deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

link

Main Story At the end of this article, they have links to 6 sites for more info including:

[ QUOTE ]
Twoplustwo.com: Home of perhaps the most popular message boards in all of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-25-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Strassa in SI

So, how much longer before this craze crashes and burns? Nice to know Duke university is home to some serious poker players tho. My alma mater made the list too (UW-Madison). If I were back in school now, I'm not sure I would have finished either. I suspect these boards are loaded with college kids.

One thing not discussed in the article is that the job environment is disheartening as well. Which also puts an emphasis on these kids thinking that poker can "pay the bills" while the find a real job.

My opinion is that the popularity of this trend will continue for another 3-7 years and then fizzle. Beyond that horizon, how much poker will there be? Who knows? But the sharks will always know how to hunt fish. There will always be games.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Good question. I just got my graduate degree last year, working now and playing poker for a nice little 2nd income at nights. Might as well play now while the playing is still good yet don't want to quit everything to play as that will leave me in a bad spot when (if) the fish ever dry up.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good question. I just got my graduate degree last year, working now and playing poker for a nice little 2nd income at nights. Might as well play now while the playing is still good yet don't want to quit everything to play as that will leave me in a bad spot when (if) the fish ever dry up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the fish dry up, you can always get a job mowing golf courses.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:33 PM

I love golf.