Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 04:13 PM

Default 80/160 - 150/300 Vegas games

Any suggestions? It'll be my first trip to vegas and i am pretty much clueless about where these games run and how soft/tough they are.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: 80/160 - 150/300 Vegas games

If these games have a $4000 buy in how could they be anything other than tough?

I know nothing about high stakes poker since I've never played above 10/20 and never in Vegas at all. But I just assume that these games would have extremely tough competition. I've read that Bellagio has the biggest selection of high stakes games for what it's worth.

Does anyone here play that high? Are there actually weak spots in those games? Having that much money to gamble with in a night blows my mind. Hope you're loaded PokerMike and good luck.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:32 PM

Games at that level are spread at Bellagio, the Mirage, and the Wynn. I'm sure Ceasers new cardroom will have high limit games too. Check allvegaspoker.com for details on all the vegas card rooms.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it seems weird until you actually sit games like this, but many high limit games consist of extremely rich individuals lighting their money on fire. Of course, the winning players in these games usually play extremely well so if there are no live ones and you're used to only beating, say, a 30-60 game, you might just get mutilated.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM

Bellagio is the only place you will consistently find this kind of action. 80-160 runs around the clock and you may run into Mason or Sklansky in these games. They have higher, but I'm not sure if they run all the time or not and many (most?) games higher than this there are some type of mixed game. I think BK played 150-300 there, but I don't know if this game is a regular occurence.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about high stakes poker since I've never played above 10/20 and never in Vegas at all. But I just assume that these games would have extremely tough competition. I've read that Bellagio has the biggest selection of high stakes games for what it's worth.

Does anyone here play that high? Are there actually weak spots in those games? Having that much money to gamble with in a night blows my mind. Hope you're loaded PokerMike and good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i play that high. there are weak spots at that level especially on weekend. the difference is that the stong players are much stronger. Also these games tend to be mixed so lots of players are weak in the non-core games
Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM

also, the buyin at most of these games is 10BB. so there are lots of players playing short and taking shots
Old 11-22-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it seems weird until you actually sit games like this, but many high limit games consist of extremely rich individuals lighting their money on fire. Of course, the winning players in these games usually play extremely well so if there are no live ones and you're used to only beating, say, a 30-60 game, you might just get mutilated.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right Jeff, it does boggle my mind. But then again I do understand if someone is a rich businessman who wants to play poker he might not want to sit with the schleps at 10-20 or whatever. I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks for a vacation so I think I'll try to watch the high stakes games at Bellagio for a bit to see if I can notice anyone making obviously poor plays.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I have a few more specific questions though;

1. What is the highest spread purely limit game that runs regularly?
2. How do these games compare to the average online 30/60 and 100/200 games respectively?
3. What kind of game selection is available i.e. how many 100/200ish games usually run on weekdays/weekends?

Cheers.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 PM

Not exactly what you are looking for, but due to long weekend waits in the past I have observed lots of hours of action at the $30-60 game at Bellagio(I think, maybe it was $40-80). The games typically contained 2-3 really fishy players...the type that like to see every hand although they were a bit more aggressive than the normal fish and would check raise. The tables also seemed to have 1 or 2 amatuerish LAG's....not guys who were very good...guys who just seemed to get off on betting to force the weak tights out and playing with the fish. The rest of the players seemed either weak tight or very tight aggressive, though with how fishy the fish were, that may have been absolutely optimal strategy.

Anyway, nothing that really impressed me about the players, and I would have sat down in the game each time if I was comfortable playing for that amount of money.

I think Bellagio runs 3-4 of these games on weekend evenings.