Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 04:03 AM

Default My revolutionary multi-table technique

Okay, I'd like to share my poker experience from the beginning.. I started out on PokerStars a year ago playing NL at pennies stakes and have always won, ever since my first day the bankroll kept growing and growing, and I was climbing tables real fast. About two months ago I was playing 5 tables of NL200 on PokerStars and some 4 tables of NL100 on Party and eurobet. Then PartyPoker changed it's blind structure and added new tables. This was very bad to me because suddenly I had to play at NL200 at Party to achieve the same pot sizes as before. Problem is, NL200 rooms on Party are ALWAYS full and there are huge waiting lists at peak hours (up to 40 people when I tried it).

So I tried playing fewer tables, on NL400 a bit, and won, but swings were large and I didnt feel very confortable.

Then I had the ideia of trying to go DOWN and add more tables. So I played NL100 at party with 0.5/1 blinds and guess what, it worked. So I played 8 tables on NL100 on party + eurobet, and 4 tables NL200 at stars.

Then I realized I was becoming not very profitable on Stars, due to the lack of attention. So I went down to NL100 on Stars as well. That worked out perfectly. Now I was profiting a lot from all 12 tables.

Back then I had a dual-monitor setup that could do 8 tables with no overlap.

So I added more and more tables. I registered on empire to be able to get 4 more tables, so I was 16 tabling with lots of overlapping windows.

A week ago I got a third monitor, and since they are very good quality monitors they support 1920x1440 resolution, I can fit 9 tables on a monitor, with not much overlapping (I can put the tables in a way that i visualize all buttons at the same times).

This last week, I played 19 tables at a time. 5 hours a day. Averaging 4500 hands per day.

Results were AMAZING. It turns out that with this method, my variance is almost zero!! And hourly rate is larger than what I made at NL400 with few tables.

Here are the daily results for the last two weeks

(60)
(89)

And here is the list of hours played on these days (I dont know how to post them side by side):

I also want to note that INTRADAY variations on my bankroll are very smooth. (every time I check to see how I'm doing for the day, I'm usually better then last time I checked) I check over 10 times a day because i'm obcessed with short term variance ehhehe

I also feel my sample size is sufficient. Many would say otherwise but I am certain that this can go on indefinedly. I was not lucky nor unlucky because every day there were over 4000 hands played.

So, the conclusion? Playing on micro-stakes on multiple tables have much advantage.

- Reduced swings

- Almost all days are profitable since its the same as playing 20 straight days on higher table (it's almost certain to be positive). The enormous ammount of hands played per day makes it almost certain that you will reap a profit every time.

- You take advantage of nearly ALL the bad players who are constantly donating on the small stakes, and stay clear of the more sophisticated players.

- I'm guessing that if practiced, a person can effectively perform this tactic up to 24-26 tables to reach maximum profit. More than that I think would hurt bottom-line results. I am currently playing 19-tables and am researching another pokersite to register so I can add 4 more tables.

- When I am tired, I sometimes DO miss a hand and time out. But it happens VERY rarely and does not influence much on results.

I think that this strategy would work VERY well if you have all the following items above:
1. Play good, fast ABC poker, without taking time to think (playing very fast and good plays)

2. Are good at multitasking
3. Can handle stress (it's VERY stressfull but I put on some classical music, turn on the air conditioning, and try to relax) I also use keyboard clicking (my finger hurts because I click so many times an hour, by repetitive movements. So I configured my keyboard to click when I press certain keys.

4. Own 3 or more 19 inch monitors.

I also feel that a FIXED-limit player would do even better than a No-limit player because there is no need to select betting ammount, thus the possibility of faster playing.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: My revolutionary multi-table technique

So you don't plan on ever improving or moving up in stakes, right? There's no way you can improve playing 200 tables at a time.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:11 AM

Amazing. Let me ask you a question. Would you rather be better at limit or no limit from a financial perspective when it comes to extracting the most money from ABC poker?

I've been primarily a limit player, and I honestly have little to no desire to take my game to a place where I have to play other strong players. I'd rather multitable against many many weaker ones and play ABC. Do you think limit or NL is a better choice for game? I think limit is easier to play ABC, but unlike in NL the most you can win per mistake of your opposition is 1 big bet. Unlike NL where you can win the whole stack.

I appreciate your opinion on this.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you don't plan on ever improving or moving up in stakes, right? There's no way you can improve playing 200 tables at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

What purpose is there to improving besides winning more money? If I was in his position now I would focus on my ability to play 8 hours instead of 6 which would increase my winnings by 25%.

Just my opinion but a lot of people put the cart before the horse here.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:16 AM

That is the only problem with the technique. I think maybe at NL100 the CAP would be a 120$-150$ hourly rate. (if the technique is trained to a level of excelence). I mean that's pretty good. If you play 5 hours daily you can make 22,5k a month.

Now there's another way to improve, and that is trying to do the same thing in NL200. If a person is a VERY good player then maybe he can acomplish this and break the 25k a month barrier.

I mean.. there IS space for growth.
All you have to do is go pushing the strategy to it's limits
Old 04-02-2005, 04:23 AM

I think that NL offers the biggest advantage for the following reasons:

1. there is more ERRORS a fish can make. on limit, he may ACCIDENTALY make the right play. Say he has top pair and bets.. on NL you have to choose the right ammount to acomplish what you want to do. Do you want to make him fold, for him to call for value, for him to think you are weak (you can bet the minimum ammount, wich in my mind transmits more weakness then checking).

2. On NL, fish tend to donate more. I mean, sometimes I raise 5xBB with my KK or AA and someone simply gos ALLIN for 100$. Now I instantly call and make a lot of cash. On limit this possibility is not there.

On NL100 party players donate a LOT.

Also, I feel beginners that play NL are willing to gamble more. Imagine a roulette player or a recreational gambler who watches WSOP on TV. What do you think is the most probable game he'll chose to play NL or fixed?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:26 AM

Another problem that I failed to address earlier is that if LOTS of people (more than 10 players) start to do this, it would become unprofitable for all of them, since there aren't so many tables availible and each one of them would occupate 20 of them.

Now that I think of it, I don't know WHY I just posted this.. knowing that this can pottentialy destroy my future games.

I think I'm too kind hehe
Old 04-02-2005, 04:30 AM

it's good to know that 19 tabling with a vpip of <10 is a viable option [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 04:36 AM

For me, in small stakes its easier to multitable NL than limit because you play less hands, there are less decisions to make and most decisions are very straightforward, everything is very formulaic so its pretty easy to autopilot across many tables.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:45 AM

Maybe i am strange here, but i am not playing poker so I can make a living. Like was said above, playing 19 tables will not make you a good player because, as the original poster said, he stays away from more sophisticated players... then WHAT IS THE POINT? I mean, are we all chatting here on the low-limit, no-limit board so we can make a couple of bucks, or are we trying to become really good at this interesting and complex game? Honestly, if you are smart enought to multi-table 19 tables at a time, you are smart enough to make just as much money actually producting something useful. Poker is supposed to be fun, not stressful- Its supposed to be a game we try to master and improve on. I dont know, maybe having an edge playing ABC poker is amusing to some- and can be profitable- but all you are doing is wasting your time in my opinion. especially if its stressful rather than fun.