Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Confronting a Bulimic Acquaintance

(yes a serious topic in OOT)

So I have this acquaintance who's bulimic and I'm trying to decide whether there would be any value in confronting her. She's smart, college educated (and graduated in 3 years) and knows she has it or knows that what she is doing is bulimia, but doesn't stop.

I have some experience with this disease and anorexia as someone in the gymnastics community for most of my life as an athlete and coach. I know it's a serious disease and that left untreated it's very likely to kill. I don't talk to her often, and my source of information is her livejournal where she talks very candidly in locked posts about her eating habits. She also posts pictures and compared to the last time I saw her she looks a lot skiinier; to the point of being unhealthy. These are all reasons to speak up.

There are some problems though.

First and foremost, I don't know her that well. She's a friend of my girlfriends from her old job and they aren't even super close. I've met her, partied with her, talked to her in person only about 6 times, and on aim maybe 50? It would be awkward if I were to run into her at a bar or something, but there are many many people who know her better. It certainly wouldn't be appropriate for me to just call and make plans to hang out or something.

Second, I don't know what, if anything, her other friends have said. It may be that she's already been confronted by people she's much closer with. I have no specific knowledge of anything confronting her about her disease.

Third, I'm not sure what good would come from a confrontation. I don't know that there would be a positive result.

Finally, I don't have a good way to contact her. It would have to be through email. She's at a youth volunteer thing, like the peace corp. I don't know her phone number and we don't live in the same city.

I'm torn. On one hand I know what this disease can do, I like her, and i don't want to sit idly by and watch it progress in anyone I know. On the other we aren't that close, I'm not sure that I wouldn't be telling her things she's already heard or that I'd even be able to help her in the slightest, and I don't have a particularly good way of contacting her.

So, OOT, should I confront her as soon as possible, wait for a time I can talk to her face to face, or wait and see if she gets treatment either at the beheast of closer friends or for some other reason? Or should I just let her live her life the she wants and why?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Confronting a Bulimic Acquaintance

My ex-girlfriend was bulemic. She was doing it when we started dating and was still doing it when we broke up a year and a half later. She was seeing a psychologist and taking prozac for the last 4 months we dated. I don't know if she's gotten better as we haven't really talked much since breaking up.

That said, as much as it sucks, if I were you, I wouldn't do anything about it if you really don't know the girl well. I say this mostly because it will be a waste of your time and hers. I really strongly doubt you will get her to change.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:03 AM

Not your problem.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 AM

Email and ask how she's doing, etc.

Next email, say "I like/care about you and if you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me."

Best thing you can do for someone with problems is be there for them if/when they decide to ask for help. (If they never do, you can't save them. If they are seeking an 'enabler' you'll see that quickly as well.)

Confrontations are for people close to the problem, not for acquaintances.

Or, get drunk, then call her.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:53 AM

Contacting her probably won't help, and it may make her mad at you.

I would definitely do it.

Most likely, nothing changes. There's a medium chance you 'lose' an aquaintence. Then there's the small chance you save her life.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:55 AM

unfortunately nothing you can do. i know how you feel, but this is a disease she is well aware of and well aware of the consquences. for some it's about control, and this is the only form of control in her life, she doesn't want to lose the one thing she can (in theory) control.

she has heard it all before by everyone in her life...parents, friends, family, maybe a teacher...co-workers, supervisor, hell even her doctor! nothing you say will be news to her and of course you risk having her freak out at you.

sit by and do nothing buddy
Old 09-15-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unfortunately nothing you can do. i know how you feel, but this is a disease she is well aware of and well aware of the consquences. for some it's about control, and this is the only form of control in her life, she doesn't want to lose the one thing she can (in theory) control.

she has heard it all before by everyone in her life...parents, friends, family, maybe a teacher...co-workers, supervisor, hell even her doctor! nothing you say will be news to her and of course you risk having her freak out at you.

sit by and do nothing buddy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, she probably knows everything you might tell her. But she might need someone to talk to about it. Maybe nobody has approached the subject in a certain way that makes her want to open up about it.

I have a friend that knew she was bulemic and had actually studied the disease thoroughly, but had not talked to anyone about it. Once she told me about it, she admitted it to many people, and maybe, on another level, to herself. She honestly stopped and has not thrown up in two years now.

If I were you I'd talk to her. It really can't hurt. [censored], I'll talk to her myself. I don't care.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 AM

Ask her if you can SIIHP, so you'll have a good story to tell at her funeral reception.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask her if you can SIIHP, so you'll have a good story to tell at her funeral reception.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY
Old 09-15-2005, 11:15 AM

I've dated 2 girls who were bulimic, and had a sister who had an eating disorder. You can maybe relate a little better being gymnist as im sure there is tons of pressure on what you weigh, but for me and I think most males, its just sooo [censored] up, because it just doesnt make any sense. And you feel like just using simple logic and pointing out how stupid it is, should make them stop. The sad fact is, there is prolly nothing you can do, and telling her isnt going to get her to quit. It's a mental illness and until she is ready to quit and gets proffesional help, it isnt going away.

Who knows tho, in some sort of after school special lifetime movie moment, shes about at rock bottom, and then gets email and thats what helps her go get help. I think you should do at least do something, since its obviously important enough that you posted this for the jackals in OOT, and it never hurts to know you have people in this world who care and are concerned for you.

If I were going to do anything tho, I would get her address and write her an actual letter. Its soooo much more powerful than an email or aim convo. It shows more care on your part since you took the time to actually write something, and address an envelope and all that jazz. Its also still not a real life or phone convorsation tho, which will prolly just make her uncomfortable or defensive. A letter can be gone over whenever she wants, and wherever she wants, since it can be taken away from the computer.