Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Re: How playable is 5/10 full?

i've also noticed that the stars 5/10 full games blow even worse then the party ones. what site has a good 5/10 full game to play at(other than pacific since you can't multi there)
Old 08-16-2005, 03:24 AM

I've been splitting my time between 3/6 and 5/10 this year, and I think 5/10 is definitely playable, at least during the evenings (say 8pm-3am eastern time.) It is, in general, trickier and more aggressive than 3/6, but I actually have an easier time finding a great table at 5/10 than at 3/6. 3/6 has more okay tables, but I can't remember the last time I sat at a 3/6 table that was as good as any of the best 5/10 tables I've been at recently.

During the afternoon, I often have trouble finding more than one or two decent tables at 5/10, but the pickings have been slim at 3/6 full during these times as well. I've taken to playing 3/6 short during the afternoon, in an attempt to suck less at shorthanded. Like you, I prefer playing full, and I do better at it, but I'm convinced improving that skill set is my next big step as a poker player.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:12 AM

We have had this discussion a lot.

My opinion once again (after (80,000 hands at this level): If you are willing to play sites other than Party these are good games. You need to excercise good table selection you also really need to brush up your hand reading.

Many of the players are tight-passive. So I think one of the things that throws people at 5/10 full, is you end up ditching many hands on the turn, in what might at first appear to be marginal situations.

I have had huge wins and huge losses at this level. That said even after absorbing some very bad beatings, it is still a more profitable game for me than 3/6 full ever was. As many of you know I am barely an average player, and I do well here.

I three table and have money spread across several sites. If I had to rate the games by site it would look like this:

1. Pacific.
2. Paradise.
3. Party/ UB- Tie because UB has limitied table selection, but also seems to have fishier games on average when they do go.

4. Pokerstars: I really have to pick my spots here. These games can be good, but when they are good, they are usually wild. When they go bad though, they are really tough.

5. Absolute: If it was not for rakeback and bonuses, this game would not be worth playing. There are oppurtunites, when the tables break to short handed, I have made some decent money playing down to 3 players and HU. However at a full 9-handed table, these games tend towards very tight, with little action being given, unless a player has a huge hand.

That said, about twice a week I find a great table here.

Playing this level has been frustrating at times. But I am a much better player now and have made more money than I could have made at the 3/6 short/full games.

I can't speak for 5/10 6-max because I only have about 8,000 hands on 6-max tables.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:15 AM

If you can't beat 5/10 full on Party you're not going to beat 15/30 full on Party.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't beat 5/10 full on Party you're not going to beat 15/30 full on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's beatable but it's just a terrible game.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. 2-3 good tables every night. You just have to find then and reconsider what "good" means.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. 2-3 good tables every night. You just have to find then and reconsider what "good" means.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree whole heartedly with this. If you go by table VPIP, I guess the games look bad. But if you consider the make up of the table and your position at the table, and the post-flop quality of the tight players. Oftentimes you are in a better situation than it might first appear.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last week during my foray into 5/10 I was very picky with table selection. Most pots on most tables were two or three handed and I just stole the blinds a lot. Play was aggressive (although it was often retarded aggression) and limping was asking to be isolated. Fish with VPIPs > 40 were extremely rare; 3-bet reisolation of these players wasn't uncommon. How is this good?

Old 08-16-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last week during my foray into 5/10 I was very picky with table selection. Most pots on most tables were two or three handed and I just stole the blinds a lot. Play was aggressive and limping was asking to be isolated. Fish with VPIPs > 40 were extremely rare; 3-bet reisolation of these players wasn't uncommon. How is this good?

[/ QUOTE ]

By your own admission you only played 1,000 hands. That is less than two nights worth of play for me.

Do you really feel ready to pass judgement on a game you are not even acclimated to yet?

My first 8500 hands at 5/10 full were breakeven. Then I started adjusting. As I said it can be frustrating at times, you also have to table hop. I have a fish list a mile long.

Log a month or 15,000 hands at the level and I bet your opinion will change.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last week during my foray into 5/10 I was very picky with table selection. Most pots on most tables were two or three handed and I just stole the blinds a lot. Play was aggressive (although it was often retarded aggression) and limping was asking to be isolated. Fish with VPIPs > 40 were extremely rare; 3-bet reisolation of these players wasn't uncommon. How is this good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing the 5/10 games for a while. The main difference is that a 27-28 VP is a good table. A 5/10 fish is anyone over 30, and they aren't that common. A lot of TAG, multitablers, but they're exploitable too. You can really run guys over. Its certainly made me a better player and there's more $ there than 3/6, but the games are nothing like the 24/, 3/6, even the 10/20 which seems *much* softer to me (after only a few thousand hands.)

Liek Sfer said, a "good" table on 5/10 is different from a "good table at another limit. But its still pretty good.