Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Weekend Taj 100 Tourney

Unfortunately a very brief trip report, as I definetly need to spend more time at work reading this forum so I can post longer tourney reports.

Taj tourney structure: $100 + 20 buy-in, 5,000 chips to start, blinds start 25-50, and increase every 20 minutes. I draw seat 4 at my table and high card for the button. First hand, UTG limper, folded to me and I look down at KK. I raise to 200, blinds fold and limper calls. Flop is J high, maybe somehting like J74. UTG checks, I bet 400, he folds. I table my cowboys.

From there, my plan was to play tight and get a feel for the players at the table, who were typically loose. Problem was that my grandma deals cards faster than our dealer. Next time I saw the button was 20 minutes later at the next blind level. Literally took 30 seconds to shuffle, not deal, just shuffle.

No real hands to speak of for a few orbits/blind levels, a couple of likely missed opportunities like this hand, 10 handed, blinds 50-100, 4 folds to me and I muck A6s. Flop was AAJ, turn J, two players split a large pot with Jacks full. Generally, I wouldn’t think twice, but the pace of our table was so slow that I probably should have played more hands. Thoughts?

The next significant hand occurred with blinds 200-400/a75. After posting, I have ~4,200, SB has ~1,800. Folded to SB who completes, he’s played fairly weak and straight forward. I look down at K7o and push, thinking any hand he’d call here with, he would have raised preflop. I’m wrong as he calls and tables A9s, which wins unimproved. Comments on the play??

Now short, 5xBB, I play ultra-aggressive and push with any two if folded to me within 3 of the button. Winning a few uncontested pots, I end the level at 4,000. After the break, blinds 500/1000/a100. BB is 5 hands away, I find AJo and push, the big stack at the table overpushes for ~30K. Didn’t think I could possibly be ahead, but I was when he tabled ATs. However, flop was K98, turn was an ugly black T and none of my outs hit on the river, out around 100th out of 220.

Re-read some good posts here on changing styles and beginning to accumulate chips immediately at these things.

thanks for reading

Mez
Old 04-21-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Weekend Taj 100 Tourney

Thanks for the read, out of curiousity what are the payouts like there?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:25 PM

Everything sounded pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Well played.

Gavin
Old 04-21-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the read, out of curiousity what are the payouts like there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think first place was $8.5K or so. They post the payout schedule with the link here Trump Taj . Its a pretty well run tourney, just don't draw the same dealer I had.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 PM

Mez,

Send me a pm the next time you plan on playing in a tournament. We can probably get seated together. I got poster Avid and I sat together due to my manipulation of the jedi mind trick.

I look down at K7o and push, thinking any hand he’d call here with, he would have raised preflop. I’m wrong as he calls and tables A9s, which wins unimproved. Comments on the play??

I don't like this play for the result of this hand.

I find AJo and push, the big stack at the table overpushes for ~30K. Didn’t think I could possibly be ahead, but I was when he tabled ATs. However, flop was K98, turn was an ugly black T and none of my outs hit on the river, out around 100th out of 220.

Life happens, you were a big favorite preflop.

Nice report.