Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 AM

Default $400 NL PP hand 6 Max

Background: I’ve been playing pretty solid. A few steals pre flop, maybe firing a second bullet on the flop, but never shooting on the turn. MP has had a few suspect plays, and has recently lost a full buy in, he may be tilting, but certainly isn’t the most solid guy.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($511.1)
BB ($1421.2)
UTG ($458.7)
MP ($438)
Button ($55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $15</font>, Button calls $15, Hero calls $13, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

I flat called basically because I really don’t want to face a re-raise, and the button only has $55 left, and I’m not putting that much in preflop with AQs. Would it be correct for me to fold here at all?

Flop: ($49) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $40</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $120</font>, MP calls $80.

I see this as a good flop. I don’t think MP has a 9 with a $15 pre flop raise. I think he might have AK, over cards, or overpair at this point. My thought was my check raise may get him to lay down TT-KK here and if not, well I have lots of outs. I see his $40 bet as him saying, “Hey button I want to fight you, and I don’t want that SB(Hero) to call me.” I think if he wanted action, he would have bet $20, hoping to get popped by button, have me call, and the shove. Since button folds I think that if I get re-popped I would just put my money in (what do you think of that, good/bad plan?)

Turn: ($289) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $175</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $303 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $128.

Yippe! I feel that I am good here and want to get all the money in. I bet a little more than half of what he has left, hoping to make it look like a follow up bluff and knowing that he is a bit ‘on edge’ right now. Plus if he just called, we are pot commited anyways. Well, he just goes all in over me anyways like I wanted.

River: ($895) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Well, let hope he didn’t have AA or A9…

Final Pot: $895

I’m interested in anybody’s thoughts about any street. The play I see as a little worrisome is my flop check raise, am I just asking for trouble?

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Qs (flush, ace high).
MP has Td Tc (two pair, tens and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins $895. </font>
Old 03-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: $400 NL PP hand 6 Max

With no replies thus far, I guessing I played this pretty much ABC? I don't normally play limits this high and was wondering if I missed some finer points on the flop.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: $400 NL PP hand 6 Max

I don't like the flop check raise. What is your plan if MP flat calls, as he did and you whiff on the turn? You are most likely going to have to check fold, or get the majority of the money in as a 2:1 dog on the turn. Why not lead out on the flop, hope to get raised, then reraise all in?