Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Is this really bad? 5/10 6max

I make this play once in awhile, I'm sure I'll get some harsh criticism but hear me out. I open raise from the cutoff with a marginal hand, say A2s, 89s, A9, J10, etc and the button (not a maniac) 3 bets, SB and BB fold and I fold.
I've lost sooooo much money in this situation by calling, hitting nothing on the flop and folding to their bet. Playing back at them without a pair is just -EV against a TAG and most of the time I'm not hitting anything there. What do you think?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Is this really bad? 5/10 6max

[ QUOTE ]
I make this play once in awhile, I'm sure I'll get some harsh criticism but hear me out. I open raise from the cutoff with a marginal hand, say A2s, 89s, A9, J10, etc and the button (not a maniac) 3 bets, SB and BB fold and I fold.
I've lost sooooo much money in this situation by calling, hitting nothing on the flop and folding to their bet. Playing back at them without a pair is just -EV against a TAG and most of the time I'm not hitting anything there. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like what you've done with your hair. It matches your skirt very well.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That cracked me up.

Anyhow as someone else said, your example hands aren't marginal in my playbook. I open raise those from the CO as well. I would NEVER fold them for one more bet from the Button.

The Button's 3 bet always appears strong but having been the button I can say for sure that appearances can be decieving. I don't know how many times I whiffed completely on the Button after a 3 bet preflop, but the CO checked to my apparent strength on the flop and my follow through bet took it down.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His shoes probably match his purse as well.

Dude, don't fold for one more bet PF, thats just sick, I'll call with any 2 I raised with at that point getting 6.5 :1

Oh yeah and if he keeps it up start caping his ass PF instead of calling. Also call more and checkraise the flop regardless and follow through with a turn bet. You're getting pwned and you really need to stop being such a little bitch about it. Sack up and play some pokah [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 12:05 PM

I don't consider those marginal CO hands, but standard open raising hands.

Ok, you get 3-bet by a non-maniac. Well what kind of non-maniac? Some people see a raise and think, ok he has a strong hand, he rasied, but my hand is premium, so I'll 3-bet--otherwise they fold. Against these players, yes the check-fold is most often correct.

However, most players are either donks, or aware enough of "stealing," so as to 3-bet a little lighter. Against these players, I think you can make a play based on the board and your hand. I'd be more inclined to do it (when you hit a piece obviously) when you have an A, or when there's a board you think may have missed the other guy, either raggy, or with one high rank card--if he doesn't have that one high rank card, he'll fear you do and be more inclined to give up.

As usual, you need to know your opponent. Check folding too much is bad, making plays without hands too much is bad, it's all about balance.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against these players, yes the check-fold is most often correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy isn't check-folding the flop -- as I understand it, he's folding PREFLOP.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against these players, yes the check-fold is most often correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy isn't check-folding the flop -- as I understand it, he's folding PREFLOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than making your vagina dripping wet, a move like this will allow these people to pick on you and 3-bet you a lot more often.

Really, I've never seen this at 5/10 6-max and am shocked anyone does it.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I feel like Quagmire after he learned Taylor Hanson was a boy

Oh God, No!

------

Um, yeah this is god awful.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against these players, I think you can make a play based on the board and your hand. I'd be more inclined to do it (when you hit a piece obviously) when you have an A, or when there's a board you think may have missed the other guy, either raggy, or with one high rank card--if he doesn't have that one high rank card, he'll fear you do and be more inclined to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? no board,they guy has already folded preflop to the 3 bet,

he is saying he knows he will already miss the board, i think
Old 04-28-2005, 12:05 PM

You got odds to call and fold an unfavourable flop. Its easy to spew chips postflop if you make top pair or whatever, so maybe this is where the problem is. Need to tread carefully and be prepared to fold. However, opponent knows you are probably on a steal, so it's not like they have a monster every time.