Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Getting new PC, advice?

I'm looking to get a new desktop in the next few days, and was wondering if you guys had any advice. I want to get something that's top of the line. I want to be able to run 8 poker tables, from 4 different sites, winamp, musicmatch, aim, mIRC, 2 internet explorer browsers, a DVD, counterstrike, and Doom2 all at the same time without having to worry about the PC stalling on me. I was planning on just getting something standard from http://www.dell.com unless you guys can suggest anything better. For what I want, I know I will need a lot of ram. I'm assuming I want a very good processor too. What else is important. Also, what OS would be ideal for me?

-thanks in advance
-Justin Bonomo
Old 06-18-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Getting new PC, advice?

http://www.top500.org/lists/2003/11/1/
Old 06-18-2004, 03:52 PM

do NOT get dell. theres alot better online stores that will customize your computer for cheaper and better. ill post link to a couple a bit later
Old 06-18-2004, 03:58 PM

Actually, there is a site now formed by former Dell employees. It's dedicated to solving the problems of Dell owners who can't get help from customer support. So sad.

Unless you're buying 100 machines or more, avoid Dell like the clap. It is possible to get a quality machine (as much as I hate to say it), but you're really rolling the dice.

Get a Vaio.

-2kF
Old 06-18-2004, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to get a new desktop in the next few days, and was wondering if you guys had any advice. I want to get something that's top of the line. I want to be able to run 8 poker tables, from 4 different sites, winamp, musicmatch, aim, mIRC, 2 internet explorer browsers, a DVD, counterstrike, and Doom2 all at the same time without having to worry about the PC stalling on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You run all that at once? You're an animal.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:57 PM

Surprised at the anti-dell on this forum. Maybe people are confusing them for Micro$oft.

Fact of the matter is, there is no better bang for buck then dell. You can get something else, but there's no way I'd go buy from a fly by the night internet seller.

My recommendation for poker, is the dell Inspiron 8600 (What I'm using). The 1900x1200 screen allows me to easily play 4 windows with no overlap, and some extra space for browsing 2+2. Get an extra modular battery, and have 6 hours of battery life unplugged. I love it.

Nick
Old 06-18-2004, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fact of the matter is, there is no better bang for buck then dell. You can get something else, but there's no way I'd go buy from a fly by the night internet seller

[/ QUOTE ]

Also no bigger piece of sh$t then Dell. Dell used to make top quality products, now they make substandard budget priced garbage. Ever since they started catering to the "budget consumer" their quality has gone way downhill.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:32 PM

You should build your own. Its easy, like legos or tinkertoys. Just a few plugs. Then you get only what you want, not extra crap like a 56k modem. Then you can also get good motherboards with overclocking options, etc. Mainly you need a good monitor to support high resolution at high refresh so you can fit a bunch of tables on your screen simultaneously. If the only game you play is like counterstrike you dont need much of a video card and can save yourself $300 there vs. top of the line.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:41 PM

Use my rule of thumb. If gabyyyyy bashes it then it must be a good deal and vice versa. This logic has yet to fail during any period of indecision.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:00 PM

I have a decent monitor already (20.3 in LCD), and have absolutely no clue how to go about "building my own machine".