Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you?
I say that I do, but I'm afraid of penises. 8 2.39%
I never masturbate. 7 2.09%
I don't admit it to anyone offline, but I really do masturbate. 42 12.54%
I admit to at least some people that I do, and I do. 278 82.99%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Revised poll: what\'s the best/greatest poker book?

I think "Super System" has had a lot of influence on NLHE/PLHE play. NLHE has always been the main event in most tournaments and PLHE has been played in Europe and elsewhere. In any case NLHE and "Super System" are popular now.

While the other chapters in SS1 aren't read much today, the approach of having expert contributors is important. A lot of poker books were/are written by at best grinder-type pros.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:34 PM

So, Mr. Malmuth,
What do you think, however, of the effect of that book on today's game? And, if you wouldn't mind, what do you think of the overall strategy presented in that book? Latel, I've notice it biting me in the @$$. Too many check-raises, etc. Everybody wants to run me down, etc. You know, I think it would be great if 2+2 came out with a NL book.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:51 PM

In my humble opinion, HEPFAP is without a doubt the greatest poker book ever written.

Virtually every serious player has read it and it has impacted the way Hold'em is played on every level.

SS may come in a distant second only because No Limit is back in vogue now. But still, you can be a very successful NL player without reading SS. I don't think you can say the same about HEFAP for limit.

I am curious to know which title has sold more copies...Mason would you know the figures for this? I do know that HEFAP is the all time best selling book for 2+2.

Anyway, my 2 cents...I just think HEFAP has had the greatest impact on our game.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Hi Bear:

If you're referring to the no limit section in SS, I have stated before that I do not agree with much of the strategy presented. Constantly getting all-in with a questionable hand should not be a successful strategy. Ironically, after the long introduction where Doyle advocates this ultra aggressive style, he becomes much more conservative when he starts talking about specific hands.

Two Plus Two expects to have a no limit book by the spring.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 11-22-2005, 07:55 PM

Hi avatar:

I don't have numbers for SS but HPFAP has sold a little less than 220,000 copies. I do suspect that SS has sold slightly more due to its sales the past two years.

I also agree that SS is impacting the way no limit games are currently being played. However, I suspect that as new books enter the market, this impact from SS will significantly lessen.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 PM

I was being a smart, uh, I was being flippant about the 2+2 book, I'm aware and waiting just like everyone else. I have my local Border's on stand-by.
His aggression slows down, I think, because of suck-outs and check raises. SS was the first poker book I ever read. I thought it was God's gift to poker. I did everything I could to play just like that. Now I'm losing money playing like that. People expect the aggression I bring to the table so they try to slow play monsters against me, they check-raise me constantly, they will invest large chunks of money to outdraw me. When you raise EP with AA and get four callers, if the board is remotely coordinated, one of those guys has the draw and will not let go of it regardless, there's now too much money in the pot to get them off the hand. Now I'm working on changing my game. I think I'll give Ciaffone a try, I've heard good things about the pot-limit, no-limit book. By the way, I appreciate you responding to my posts and I like the way you always address the people you're responding to with "Hi Bear" etc.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 PM

I think the greatest poker book ever written is Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:41 PM

Hi Mr. Malmuth,
[ QUOTE ]
I also agree that SS is impacting the way no limit games are currently being played. However, I suspect that as new books enter the market, this impact from SS will significantly lessen.

[/ QUOTE ]
If Sklansky's book is anything like Hold Em Poker For Advanced Players, I would think so.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 PM

Hi Bear:

The Ciaffone book is pretty good. You'll see that he advocates a more conservative style.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 11-23-2005, 12:07 AM

I've read 4 of these books, one is on its way (ITPM), and have no desire to read the 6th (SS)

7CSFAP is probably the most in-depth book of the 4 I've read - it's amazingly put together

TOP is brilliant

SSHE is, well, the best 25 dollar investment I have ever made

HPFAP is great too - but not at the level of these other three IMO

PLNL is decent (I'm not a big fan of it), but does not deserve to be on the list as these other books