Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Mathematics of Poker - 2006 release

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is Sklanky's ranking of smartest poker players?
can you send a link to the post?

[/ QUOTE ]
I cannot provide a link and I don't feel like using the search function. I can, however, answer your question, by and large.

Here's Sklansky's list of the Ten Smartest Poker Players:

1. William Chen
2. Mark Weitzman
3. Howard Lederer
4. Jim Geary
5. Chris Ferguson
6. Ed Miller
7. Tom Weideman
8. Jimmy Warren
9. Barry Greenstein
10. Paul Phillips

Some of his comments:
"...it isn't easy to displace them in my mind. Among the names that would have a chance are Adam Bloch, El Diablo, Bill Bertram, Abdul Jalib, Gus Hansen, Dan Hansen, Patri Friedman, David Kopp, Huck Seed, Dan Harrington, Louie Landale, Jimmy Jimmy and two longshot possibilities of James Woods and Ben Affleck. I'm sure I have forgotten some obvious ones. Also I'm not considering those who don't really play much such as Brian Alspach, Paul Pudaite, and Jerrod A."

Other posters in the thread mostly agreed with these picks and added a few others:
Sasha Schwartz
Marilyn von Savant
Andy Beal
Allen Cunningham
Negreneau, Chip Reese, Raymer, and Ivey

I hope that satisfies your inquiry.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's great! thanks!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:02 AM

he posted somewhere around XMas last year (I remember he mentioned that it was kind of a "in the mood to be naughty this season" as his reason why he decided to post his '10 smartest people in poker') .

So if you look in the archives in December in the WPT forum I believe you can find it.

I'm search-function-challenged so you're on your own from there. It was a pretty long thread where some posters offered others and David, I believe, defended some of his choices. Interesting stuff....although most of that has already been repeated here.

To the original topic...between the Sk;ansky/Miller NL book and this new book from chen I think we're all set for some good reading in 2006.

If we get Raymer's book too and maybe HOH3 then all the better.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people think Howard Lederer is so smart?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because they're familiar with his scholastic achievements (in high school), they've heard he was also a good chess player and sports bettor, they've read some of his essays, they've heard his commentary on TV, and they know that he gets David's game theory questions right at the Bellagio. Oh, and he's really good at poker.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:18 AM

I will say that I have an MIT degree, and I found the excerpt of the book in the Intelligent Gambler to be almost incomprehensible (based on a single read through).
Old 11-21-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will say that I have an MIT degree, and I found the excerpt of the book in the Intelligent Gambler to be almost incomprehensible (based on a single read through).

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to Chen & Ankenman's book? This is interesting. I specifically asked Jerrod about this, and he said a goal was to make it readable. As I recall, he said if you understand his posts in the Poker Theory forum, you'll be able to understand the book.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:19 AM

Hey jake - thanks for a little guidance on the search. As I said, I did run a post to see if this had been discussed recently in the Books forum, but I didn't see anything that led me to believe it had.

I searched for Ankenman and it mostly returned results from (surprisingly) this thread, along with a few of his posts. There was nothing relating to the book that I saw.

If you have some more specific information, or can further narrow the search criteria, I'd appreciate the help / knowledge.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey jake - thanks for a little guidance on the search. As I said, I did run a post to see if this had been discussed recently in the Books forum, but I didn't see anything that led me to believe it had.

I searched for Ankenman and it mostly returned results from (surprisingly) this thread, along with a few of his posts. There was nothing relating to the book that I saw.

If you have some more specific information, or can further narrow the search criteria, I'd appreciate the help / knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies. I know I have the reputation of just saying, "Search function, n00b!!!" That was not my intention here. It looks like the posts on it are in the archives now.

My understanding is that Chen/Ankenman's book will be a poker game theory book. I believe it's already well past its intended publish date. Ankenman's posts in the theory forum are probably a good idea of the kind of material that will be in the book.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Affleck and Woods are that good?

Somehow I pictured the stereotypical millionire donkey with far more money than poker sense.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I received a copy of The Intelligent Gambler (a newletter put out by ConJelCo) the other day, and noticed this:

"We have an exciting 2006 planned. Some fo the highlights include the publication, finally, of the long-awaited The Mathematics of Poker, by Bill Chen and Jerrod Ankenman, Real Poker III, by Roy Cooke and John Bond, and at least one other title."

[/ QUOTE ]

For more info on the mathematics of poker, search around Jerrods blog. The contents are listed somewhere a month or 2 ago.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/hgfalling/

here's 2 updates I found:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/hgfalling/22530.html

http://www.livejournal.com/users/hgfalling/22849.html
Old 11-29-2005, 09:18 PM

Not finding my name on Sklansky's list immediately obviates its veracity.