Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

If you do that when you are starting out, you will be overtraining.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:53 PM

In my experience if you do just two sets until you can't do anymore your muscles will be so burnt out the next day that you won't even be able to do half as many. Is this not true for everyone, or am I a nancy boy?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience if you do just two sets until you can't do anymore your muscles will be so burnt out the next day that you won't even be able to do half as many. Is this not true for everyone, or am I a nancy boy?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to work up to it but your body gets used to it and recovers faster. I might be starting of to hard for myself. Most I have ever done was 5 sets to failure 4 times in 1 week and only once a day. But I'm sure I will live so I will try it lol. I did so many dips one day I could not raise my arms to wash my hair in the shower for 2 days. Make it burn!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:25 PM

If you do enough resistance training on a given muscle (except abs and maybe biceps) you should only need to train that muscle 1-3 time per week depending on you level of fitness.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many sets/reps you can do depends a lot on how good shape you're in in the first place. If you're in great shape, it will take more sets to wear yourself out or put yourself in pain the next day or two. If you're in bad shape, it's harder to wear out all of your muscles evenly before one particularly weak group of them is torn up and you can't continue. With push-ups, for an untrained guy, maybe his triceps will give out way before his chest or shoulders do. To get the best work-out, you have to be in good shape already. There's a weird catch-up phase for everyone else that can last quite a while, depending on how quick you naturally put on muscle and where you're building up from.

Taking up running is another good example. If you're in bad aerobic shape, you'll be exhausted way before your legs come close to giving out. But aerobic shape can build pretty rapidly, and after a while, you have a better chance of wearing out your legs running because your lungs will last long enough to do it!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you do that when you are starting out, you will be overtraining.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right, and this is one of the reasons I started this thread.

I have lifted weights for over 3 years, I run, swim, bike, snowshoe, anything really. I think I could make better gains if I did things properly. So I am looking to hear some advice from others.

But I would like to STRESS, this is not about how many pushups you can do. It is about seeing how many MORE you can do 1 week from now, 2 weeks from now, 1 year from now. If you don't want to tell us how many of which type you can do you don't have to. Just try your hardest, and I mean hard for 1 week at a time and tell us how many more you can do each week.

I have done this before and it is amazing how fast you can improve. Most people will double the number they can do in 2 weeks I bet.

Let's just do it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 04:10 PM

wow - i just realized it's been a loooong time since i did any push ups.

i made it to twenty five - and i am burning. damn - i didn't think it'd be that hard.

i'll report back with the results in a week.

good idea.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 PM

Million pushups

Pushup facts

WORLD RECORDS

non-stop: 10,507
1 hour: 3,877
one minute: 138

Do some already! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can do amazing things if we let ourselves.

Pushups with hands on raw eggs yah I'm dumb enough to try this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]