Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 06-17-2004, 02:42 AM

Default 15-30 JJ

Comments? Results to follow.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Nightwish is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Nightwish raises</font>, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 <font color="purple">(TightAggressive)</font> calls, CO <font color="purple">(LoosePassive)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(SuperLAG)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Nightwish caps</font>, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, MP3 <font color="purple">(TightAggressive)</font> calls, CO <font color="purple">(LoosePassive)</font> calls, Button <font color="purple">(SuperLAG)</font> calls.

Flop: (21.66 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Nightwish bets</font>, LAG calls, TightAggressive folds, LoosePassive calls, SuperLAG calls.

Turn: (12.83 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Nightwish bets</font>, LAG calls, LoosePassive calls, SuperLAG calls.

River: (16.83 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Nightwish bets</font>
Old 06-17-2004, 03:14 AM

Default Re: 15-30 JJ

yeah.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:35 AM

aggressive line, but with that many players I would guess you lost to AKo or KQs who was afraid of your represented AA...
With everyone turning into a calling station and no flush draw out there, maybe one of your callers has QJ, another AK and a 3rd who knows...

I guess with TAG folding and 3 poor players left it's ok - and I guess from your description of those players they would raise if you are behind. Given the action, definitely call a river bet as the chance it is a bluff is surely larger than the pot odds or offering you.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:01 AM

Spooky, your preflop cap says AA, KK, AK or such and since you're against that many loose guys, some of them seems to have a K and call you down... I'd give up on the turn but that's me. LAG QJ, LoosePassive KQ, Superlag 99?

/d
Old 06-17-2004, 09:12 AM

I would say the pf cap is debatable, but I like the flop and turn bets, although of course you are betting for free-card prevention, not because you actually believe you have the best hand. But you sure ain't gonna fold for only 2.5 more bb to see the showdown.

That being said, why did you bet the river?
Old 06-17-2004, 01:42 PM

I don't like the cap because of postflop situations that shape up like this. You scare people into submission and don't get info you need to bail if necessary, and even if someone shows strength, you've made the pot too large to get away from the hand. I prefer to let the 3 bettor put in the last raise and bet the flop for me, then see how the table reacts.

I'll usually raise for win share in any position, with any hand that warrants it, but as for 3 betting or capping, sometimes I'll just call despite my raise being +EV preflop so the hand will play out the way I want it to.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:54 PM

Check the river for information.

If it's raised by the time its back to you, you're beat -- fold.

If LAG bets and there's two overcalls, you're beat -- fold.

If LoosePassive bets, you're beat -- fold.

If LAG bets and SuperLAG calls, consider overcalling or folding.

If LAG bets and it's heads-up, call.

If SuperLAG bets, call or consider raising if the others are capable of folding a weak king for 2 bets cold.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:45 AM

Default *** RESULTS ***

Thanks for all the responses!

I capped preflop because the Super LAG is the one who 3-bet, so I was pretty sure I still had the best hand even with all the callers and the raise. I also wouldn't mind if the people in between were to fold.

I don't need to explain the flop &amp; turn bets.

So, what should I do on the river? No one raised my flop &amp; turn bets, so that means that neither the LAG nor the Super LAG have a K. In fact, neither one probably even has a pair. That leaves the loose passive. He might have a K, and he might even have QQ. Here's why I decided to bet:

1. The river likely didn't help anyone.
2. I could very well still have the best hand given the flop &amp; turn action.
3. My worst nightmare would be to check, have the LAG bet and have the Super LAG raise.

Anyway, the LAG and the loose passive called, the Super LAG folded. The LAG had JTo for a pair of T's and the loose passive had AJo for a missed gutshot. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My hand was good.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:59 AM

Default Re: *** RESULTS ***

I like the way you played it from the flop on. I don't really see any reason not to bet the river. The biggest reason to bet, moreso than for value, is to avoid giving one of the LAGs the idea that they can steal the pot with a raise. Losing an extra $30 on the end by betting (although it's hard to imagine how it's going to end up costing more than checking would), is preferrable to possibly folding the winning hand.

NH.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: *** RESULTS ***

Given the preflop cap, which I'm uncertain about but fine with (mostly because cutting the field would be great, your raise likely freezes up action enough that calling can expect similar size pots), I think it would be a large mistake to check the flop or turn. Checking the river would be a comparatively minor mistake but still wrong.