Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Help! Experienced limit holdem player wants to learn no-limit!

I've been playing limit holdem for a couple years now, but I've decided to pick up no-limit holdem after watching the World Poker Tour on TV. I'm pretty jazzed about no-limit so far.

But, I'm having some growing pains in adapting to the new game and am looking to learn the fundamentals of no-limit. I own Sklansky's books: HPFAP, TOP, as well as several standard books on limit holdem by other authors. So, I understand implied odds, position, bluffing, etc. etc... But, the all-in feature of no-limit is the main problem for me. When to go all-in?

I've been playing in some freeroll multi's to cut my teeth during the past couple of days, but I keep feeling like I am missing opportunities, as well as making mistakes that seem obvious only after the hand is played out. Here's a typical example that busted me this morning:

I played it badly. I limped in with 10, 7 suited in the small blind with 2 other limpers plus the BB. the flop was 10, 7, 4 with two cards the same suit. I shoulda went all-in right there, pushing any draws out, or making them call badly. But, I bet 2.5 bets (25% of my stack) thinking that would be enough to push anyone out, maybe hoping they would call and pay me off. Well, the flop came J nonflush. Well, now I go all-in. Stupid. Guy with a bigger stack calls me with 8,9. Busted.

Is there a FAQ or something that could at least give me some basic ideas? I am really eager to get any advice right now, because I have more questions than answers.

Here are my main questions, if anyone wants to take a whack.
1. When to go all-in? I know there are dozens of variables here: relative stack sizes, size of BB, position, # of potential callers. So it isn't an easy question. I think I know how to play when I have a short stack, or a big stack. But, the middling stack size is the toughest for me right now. But any and all advice is appreciated.

2. Are Sklansky's preflop tables for limit holdem still accurate? I guess these preflop tables are essentially burned into brain after thousands of hours playing limit holdem. Although, I deviate quite a bit depending on table conditions, I still use them as a baseline. But in no-limit holdem, I think I tend to favor suited connectors quite a bit. I even folded AK offsuit in the SB when it was 3 bets with a few callers. I just felt like there weren't a lot of flops that I could love, out of position like that. I also notice players playing small wired pairs much more aggressive than seems normal. So, what's the word on preflop starters in no-limit?

3. Heads up. How does heads up play differ in no-limit? I actually haven't dealt with this a whole lot, but it is something seems like it could be pretty big. I mean, many pots end up heads up at some point during the hand, so it is always good to understand heads-up strategy. But with no limit, the bluffing potential is enormous. I know, I know, "know thy opponent". But, maybe there are some other gimmicks or quirks, specific to no-limit holdem.

4. What is the best book out there for someone like me, who already understands limit holdem, but new to no-limit? I think "Supersystem" by Doyle Brunson was supposed to be a good no-limit text. I haven't read it yet, but maybe it should be first on my list. Comments?

Thanks again for any help whatsoever in pointing me in the right direction.