Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: The definitive post on 22s v 33s (with some comments on 55s)

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I can beat the 30s for a high enough ROI to justify not playing 50s or 20s. All the negatives of 800 chip starting stacks seem to pile up at the 30s. Hourly rate for me 55s>>22s>>>33s. I tried to play the damned things and learn what I could at that level. I learned that the 33s suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

God created the $33s to test the faithful.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:48 PM

care to make a guess at attainable 4-tabling in sets ROI possibilities these days for each of them?

*lets assume a better than above average 2p2er but not an uber pokergod etc.

6 months ago i'd peg these at 20%+ and 15%+ respectively
Old 12-23-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
care to make a guess at attainable 4-tabling in sets ROI possibilities these days for each of them?

*lets assume a better than above average 2p2er but not an uber pokergod etc.

6 months ago i'd peg these at 20%+ and 15%+ respectively

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough to determine. Irieguy had the advantage of coaching a ton of players, I have only coached about 6 or 7, and most have been at or below the 22s. Furthermore, I don't know much about their stats.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I can beat the 30s for a high enough ROI to justify not playing 50s or 20s. All the negatives of 800 chip starting stacks seem to pile up at the 30s. Hourly rate for me 55s>>22s>>>33s. I tried to play the damned things and learn what I could at that level. I learned that the 33s suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it weren't for rakeback, I would probably agree with your statement. Although, there are a different set of skills that are necessarry to beat the 33s optimally. The most significant of which is proper stealing and restealing strategy in the middle game.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're talking about 4-6 handed sorts of situations, I really disagree with you. I guess 7+ handed I can see folding trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to expand? I proved my theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's true that you will still have 650 left after going through the blinds in the example you give. However, that 650 amounts to just a tiny bit over 2xbb, leaving you with no FE whatsoever. Not only will the pot often be raised in front of you, but even if it's not, you'll often still have to win a showdown just to survive. It's true that you may pick up a better hand in the next orbit, but even if you push & win, you'll still have only slightly more than you did when you folded. There's also an opportunity cost to folding...if you get called & win, you will have a pretty big stack & the greater number of profitable opportunities that come with it. If everyone folds, you will have FE even after paying the blinds, and stand to win a lot more if you pick up a good hand & get called.

Since so much of it comes down to FE, I like folding much more if you're almost sure you'll get called anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would like to hear your thoughts on why you disagree.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i would like to hear your thoughts on why you disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 3 reasons.

1. Results. I played about 7-8k sngs in which I open shoved any time I had 3-5 bb. I have played about 2k sngs in which I play patiently through the blinds (provided that they are big.) My results playing the latter have been much better.

2. It is relatively easy to pick off. If I notice that a solid player who is short shoves utg, I will call with a very liberal range. I can say that 7/10 times, they are not holding what they are supposed to.

3. Just because you dont have 3 bb doesn't mean that you don't have FE. We have all been in situations in which we have 2 bb, but the bb has 3 bb. He isn't going to be calling with a wide range here all too often.

For the most part, I used to play like you, but Rojosox and I had a conversation over AIM, and it has served me well. Another thing to consider is that many fishies have something that I like to call bassakwardseliminitus. In other words, instead of properly working on stealing from the mid stacks, they bully the short stacks with nothing because they think that the goal is eliminating opponents. Essentially, getting 2:1 with T3 against 78 is a beautiful situation.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:55 PM

ive been 4-tabling the 55s for 15 roi the past 2 weeks. only 20 or so a day so really no sample size to speak of

but im not looking to "double up" early. im looking to play solid hands early on, and use early reads to see who the loose donks are at the table, and hopefully get in with a good hand v. them. by the 50/100 level, im glad to have a stack around 1500. sometimes ill capitalize on a donk and double up through him, but a lot of the chips i get during the first three levels are through solid value betting

after that its a lot of blind stealing, followed by bubble play. blinds are so high by this point if im not a big stack, im doing the push/fold thing a lot.

90% of the players i face at the 55s, including multi-tabling "regulars" (McShove comes into mind) dont seem to play well post-flop in the first three levels. i find my NL cash game background helps a lot here - i tend to see way too many people overvaluing hands when they still have 30+BBs in their stacks.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer. I will try to give a coherent rebuttal when I have a bit of time.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:57 PM

also i cannot comment on 22s 33s or lower because i started with the 55s. i can only assume the post-flop play there is exponentially worse than what i am seeing here.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:06 AM

A few points....first off, the 55s are a different animal than what I have been playing the last month and a half.

[ QUOTE ]
but im not looking to "double up" early

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that perhaps the most interesting thing about the party sng is that it is highly possible to fold your way into the money. As such, I agree. But, lets face it doubling up early definately helps your chances of cashing.

[ QUOTE ]
by the 50/100 level, im glad to have a stack around 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh absolutely. I usually am happy with t1100 at level 4.

[ QUOTE ]
after that its a lot of blind stealing, followed by bubble play. blinds are so high by this point if im not a big stack, im doing the push/fold thing a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHHHHHHHH!!!! The thing about the 55s is that you usually don't have to play pushbot poker too often as the blinds dont get too too big until level 8.

[ QUOTE ]
i find my NL cash game background helps a lot here - i tend to see way too many people overvaluing hands when they still have 30+BBs in their stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the reason that I am still at the lower levels is due to the fact that I played a ton of mtts in the last two months without any significant cashes. I can full well say that playing a 30 bb stack is the hardest part of mtts, so your statement hits spot on. Your nl cash experience is definately helpul.