Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-21-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: ($27) - a boring A9s for inspection

[ QUOTE ]
What was the plan if he raised the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY fair question - damn you! Well, that might be a problem then wouldn't it? Like I said, I was most certain that I was ahead getting here as we did. A push over in theory might indicate otherwise. I've ruled out the boat here (i.e. he probably isn't pushing with 3rd-4th nut hand), and I just can't see him having the other hands that beat me. I would assume it to be bluff/semi-bluff (Ace mabye) and call.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:45 AM

I know what you're saying, but if you have a strong read, I look at it like this:

I'm going to trust my read. If correct, I'm over a 3:2 favorite AND I have FE. Just because my hand is not what would 'normally' be a re-raising hand, against this guy, why should I pass up a 3:2 edge. Isn't that the whole point of making reads?

Moreoever, it is nice to play back at donks like this, to let him know that your blind will not be mini-raised.

I'm not arguing with you (you make great, well thought out posts), just giving you my perspective...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:48 AM

not too bad IMO. you didn't consider leading the turn? or were you more in pot control, value bet the river mode?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you're saying, but if you have a strong read, I look at it like this:

I'm going to trust my read. If correct, I'm over a 3:2 favorite AND I have FE. Just because my hand is not what would 'normally' be a re-raising hand, against this guy, why should I pass up a 3:2 edge. Isn't that the whole point of making reads?

Moreoever, it is nice to play back at donks like this, to let him know that your blind will not be mini-raised.

I'm not arguing with you (you make great, well thought out posts), just giving you my perspective...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hearya [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I push over in this situation with worse from time to time, but usually saving that for the "he's on a pure weak steal here" kind of read. That wasn't the case here at all. It wasn't a matter of knowing he had crap, so let's see the flop. It was more that he just isn't experienced enough to accurately understand his own hand strength, nor proceed properly PF or post. I didn't think he was stealing. I just knew I had a decent shot at getting some of his chips post-flop...at a minimal cost, with relatively low risk.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not too bad IMO. you didn't consider leading the turn? or were you more in pot control, value bet the river mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh...his flop c-bet could be anything - including a hand containing a Queen. If i get raised here I'm toast (If he bets behind my check I fold as well). If he just calls a lead from me, I face a more difficult check-call decision on the river IMO.

There's nothing to cleaver in his arsenal. The turn didn't have to be a defining moment IMO. He's betting behind my check if he does have a Queen...or any other hand that I now fell behind.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:57 PM

What about a bump to 400 preflop. The reason I state this is if he is in the habit of min raising random hands. Why not take the 100 now and hopefully keep him from min raise entering on bubble when he might be forced to call a push?

Other than that line, I think it was ok. I dont mind the river bet either, it seems this guy would call with a king.