Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Two hands against tough LAG

Here's my read on the guy.

32/25/2.5 - "steal T8o, call flop UI, RAISE TURNed 8! check behind river. raise UTG, fold T66 flop to CR!"

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.66 BB

Hand 2 against the same guy. River: Bet/call?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (8.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...
Old 12-20-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Two hands against tough LAG

your notes on him make him sound decent. he folded to a c/r on T66, he may have made a loose call with T8, but he raised a turn 8 which is likely a good play in a steal situation.

in the TT hand, i cap preflop.

in the QT hand, i think your flop cap is too much. i call down from here. given your play, yeah i think bet calling the river is best. he may bluff raise you.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 PM

hand 2: I don't think you can bet/fold against this guy so I prefer a check

hadn 1: He'll call with a smaller pp and take it away from you on the turn anyway. I guess I do what you did.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:09 PM

Sorry, I was reading the tone of your notes on this guy more than the substance. His stats are LAG and your descriptions are too vague

hand 1: cap pf and lead

hand 2: I don't play these situations well enough to give advice
Old 12-20-2005, 04:28 PM

Hand 1 I like because I really dont know what he 3bets us with and then checks the flop w/ position other than JJJ or QQQ or something- seems like a trap to me.

Hand 2 I think the cap is a bit much, i'd rather call the 3bet and maybe lead the turn to prevent a free card.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: cap pf and lead

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like capping against this guy here. He's not a 70/40 LAG, he's a 30/25 LAG. He doesn't 3bet THAT light. At best I'm a slight favorite to most of his holdings. I'd rather call the 3bet and punish him on a favorable flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 I like because I really dont know what he 3bets us with and then checks the flop w/ position other than JJJ or QQQ or something- seems like a trap to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Hand 2, the river is very intereting.

Bet/folding loses merit because we can get bluffed off this pot. Check/Calling loses value on the hands he would call with but will check behind and you are going to get bet at by almost every flush and quite a large variety of other hands.

I think the ranges that both of these rivers are against are very large and I think that check/calling and bet/folding probably have the same EV. Bet/calling I really don't know about because I am not sure how often he will bluff/raise this.

True
Old 12-20-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because I don't have any reason to believe that he is holding an Ace at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think that people will fold their overcards more freely should I cap. The flip side is that they'll fold their underpairs more easily too.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM

Regarding the flop cap on hand 2...

I see it as partly for deception, partly for value. If I can get him to fold an overpair or TPBK (top pair, better kicker) when more diamonds come out, for example, it would be huge.

As for the value, his bet/3bet doesn't mean that much, as we know he will pump draws and semi-bluff raise. So there's a good chance I'm ahead anyway.

At this point, I think his hand range is something like:

Overpair: 10%
Top pair: 30%
Middle or bottom pair: 30%
Flush draw: 20%
Monster: 10%

Now, even when he has top pair, his kicker could easily be smaller than mine. One stat I forgot to include is that his ATSB is like 60.

Someone please tell me if I'm retarded.