Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Occupations of Poker Players

Common occupations of poker players and how they relate to poker. I have probably missed someblue collar occupations. Of course chess, bridge, and backgammon players have experience with games.

Pool Hustler -- gambling, playing people, reading people
Salesman -- playing people, reading people, financial calculations, putting in effort with no reward, fluctuations in income
Pilot -- analytical, thinking ahead, courage, taking charge
Actor -- representing, reading people
Programmer -- analytical, math, putting effort into things that don't work
Accountant -- analyitcal, financial calculations, knowing what to get away with, telling if something is suspicious or doesn't add up
Attorney -- financial calculations, analytical, representing things, playing the cards dealt, winning and losing
Magician -- playing people, representing things
Old 12-19-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Occupations of Poker Players

I heard that mathematicians made good poker players, but I think that is probably just another unsubstantiated Internet hoax.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:12 AM

Good pilots have very little courage, as long as the courage you speak of includes bravado. Flying a plane correctly takes no more courage than driving a car correctly.

Good pilots are calculating and correct, they take ZERO chances.

I'd like to play poker with 9 good pilots.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:22 AM

how are actors good at reading people? I thought actors were good at representing emotions (...hence, actor).

If I had to pick several people from different professions and play them in some sort of poker showdown competition, I would choose day traders, stock brokers, lawyers, and maybe salesmen above others.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:23 AM

Garbage men and male prostitutes.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:28 AM

Poker dealers.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM

What exactly is the point of this list? Did you just pull this out of your ass? You think magician is a "common occupation" for poker players? How many magicians do you think you'll run into on an average night at the Bellagio (assuming you don't go to the show)? This post is even worse than your polls in the Books forum. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is the point of this list? Did you just pull this out of your ass? You think magician is a "common occupation" for poker players? How many magicians do you think you'll run into on an average night at the Bellagio (assuming you don't go to the show)? This post is even worse than your polls in the Books forum. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple of magicians or jugglers who are known pro tournament players.

I took what I knew of the occupations of pros I knew orsaw on TV and made some deductions. This is probably not scientific or provable.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a couple of magicians or jugglers who are known pro tournament players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. We'd better also add rancher, Internet zillionaire and NBA team owner to our list of "common occupations" for poker p[layers then. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM

An architect understands numbers, dealing with failure (investing $ and time into design competitions and losing), selling ideas of grandeur to a table of people, understanding proportions (pot size to your stack size to villains stack size), occasionally having to work 24 hours straight on a design charette (mental stamina), and most importantly, being creative.

There do not seem to be a lot of successful architects as poker players but I know Noli Francisco is one.
Closed Thread