Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 AM

Default ($60) ITM - tug of war

SB has played very solidly. Not too loose, but by far the most open-aggresive since 5-handed. He has been raising most every Button (Button on this hand has been more confrontational with him to date). He has been raising roughly have of his SB's into me. I haven't fought back often. I have taken down more than my share of his SB limps post-flop.

Button (3645 in chips)
SB (6560 in chips)
BB-bluefeet (3295 in chips)
SB: posts small blind 100
BB: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bluefeet [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Button: calls 200
SB: calls 100
Bluefeet: checks
*** FLOP *** [2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] ....Pot=600
SB: checks
bluefeet: bets 600
Button: folds
SB: calls 600
*** TURN *** [2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]....Pot=1800
SB: bets 800
bluefeet: ???
Old 12-11-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: ($60) ITM - tug of war

I hate postflop play.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 AM

Sigh, I hate being in spots like this.

All I can say is if you think he has the flush you fold and if you don't think he has the flush you push.

If he is aggressive I would push since I doubt a decent player would incorrectly draw to a flush on that flop.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:11 AM

Do people call pot-sized bets to chase a flush only draw in the $60s?

With both straight and flush possibilities present, I wouldn't have the balls to put more money in after my pot-sized bet on the flop. I mean you don't even have TPGK at this point.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:43 AM

I peace out. Being aggressive in steal positions and playing a hand like this are two different things. If he's not ahead of you now, what exactly was he calling with on the flop?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:48 AM

As others have mentioned, I think he leads a draw here on the rag flop - maybe more so with Button behind us. Calling my full pot bet though. Either a 'piece' of the flop (where I would be ahead at the moment...discrediting A6), or one having the chips to make a move on the turn. The two problems I had where 1) he's just as likely to lead a piece on the flop, and 2) he's leading this turn with the flush certainly.

As 11t and Durron (AIM) both pointed out, it basically boiled down to 'he has the flush or he doesn't'.

What troubled me a little was I pushed despite not being able to reduce that chance of a flush enough to do so. Just wondering if PF-thru-Turn if anyone could pick up on something that would have made this decision eaiser.

Blah. I didn't plan to share yet, but maybe doing so one of you might pick up on something that might be more indicative of his actual hand...

Button (3645 in chips)
SB (6560 in chips)
BB-bluefeet (3295 in chips)
SB: posts small blind 100
BB: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bluefeet [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
Button: calls 200
SB: calls 100
Bluefeet: checks
*** FLOP *** [2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] ....Pot=600
SB: checks
bluefeet: bets 600
Button: folds
SB: calls 600
*** TURN *** [2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]....Pot=1800
SB: bets 800
blufeet tanks...
bluefeet: raises 1695 to 2495 and is all-in
SB: calls 1695
*** RIVER *** [2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

*** SHOW DOWN *** (in white)<font color="white">
SB: shows [5s Kd] (a pair of Fives)
bluefeet: shows [6h Kh] (a pair of Sixes)</font>
Old 12-11-2005, 02:51 AM

yah, you are correct I just have no idea what villains hand is. I mean his limp complete probably means he has lower suited connectors, which this flop most likely would have hit.

A muck here does appear to be the optimal play.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:01 AM

Nope. I didn't see anything that would have led to his actual hand being a remote possibility.

Does this mean that he's a donk, or does it mean that I am?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:18 AM

fwiw I get especially aggressive 3-handed and have trouble giving credit to villains for any hand ever and think that mid pair is the nuts.

thus, I push the turn.

calling the turn is also a fruitful endeavor.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:21 AM

Given your description of the SB, push. If he had a flush draw on that flop he had at least one overcard as well, and probably two. It's very unlikely an aggressive player would check/call on that flop with a FD + over(s). I'm just not buying his turn bet either.

I push here everytime and expect to see a lone diamond,lone pair, pair + diamond, diamond + str8 draw a heck of a lot more than a hand that's ahead of me.