Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-10-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Curtains, day two: Hand #3

Looks like hero got himself over committed a bit. A nice seat for the raise, but would t90 do the same? I'm assuming we were trying to get HU, not just pick up a small pot PF. Would a lessor amount give him other options on the flop?

Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 4: ( $2670 )
Seat 5: ( $525 )
Seat 6: ( $2735 )
Seat 7: ( $1090 )
curtains ( $915 )
Seat 10: ( $1025 ) SB
Seat 2: ( $1040 ) BB
Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to curtains [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
1 fold
Seat 5 calls [30].
2 folds
curtains raises [150].
2 folds
Seat 5 calls [120].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Seat 5 checks.
curtains is all-In
Old 12-10-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Curtains, day two: Hand #3

WOW.. kind of similar from the day 1 flush draw with AK, but this is way too early to be pulling the same s#!t.. call me crazy but I'm limping preflop and check-folding a bad flop.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:58 AM

While the push looks dramatic, it really isn't. The other guy has such a short stack that no other bet amount is realistic here.

I am surprised that he played the middle pair so aggressively against a player that is likely to feel the pressure to get some chips fast.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:00 AM

I think curtains raised that amount so he'd have a pot sized bet left on the flop. Looks fine to me.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:04 AM

I'm not going to comment on the flop bet although its pretty safe he puts him on AK, AQ, AJ or AT. I don't have the reads curtainzzz does to make that play.

PF, I don't play this the same way at my level, but I see the value of doing it at the "tighter" buyins. Chips today = power tomorrow.

I've played a few higher buyin live STTs and I would play this exactly the same as the chessmaster with a read from playing against him before or simply the betting patterns. He seized the hand from the check on the flop. vn NL play. If the villain is slowplaying something, touche.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:11 AM

Preflop seems fine to me, but I would probably limp in level 2 here.

Once you are HU with the small stack with that many chips in the pot I think your chips are going in the middle under most circumstances.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:15 AM

Limping is OK, but I believe raising is stronger. Of course I want to take it down preflop, 75 chips are not meaningless. Meanwhile the short stack was playing pretty badly and I was pretty confident they didn't have a great hand.

After the flop, moving allin after being checked to is automatic. Often times even if Im beaten I have a flush draw, and if they have a flush draw I will be ahead. Its rarer that Ill be both behind and have no flush draw. The amount of money in the pot forces me to simply move allin and hope for a fold or to win the pot if called.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:26 AM

Please note that my normal play is to limp, I only raised due to the stack size and weakness of my opponent. If my opponent had like 900 chips, then I would limp behind as well usually.

It's better to play for set value against deep stacks and play on the strength of your pair against smaller stacks.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Often times even if Im beaten I have a flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

I removed that from my OP. I wondered how much holding a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] played into the flop push. Enough so to sell you on it? Or more of a 'cool, there's always that' thing, if you find yourself getting called?

Regarding taking it down PF. I admittedly under value the accumulation of these chips. Not often enough willing to take risks when presented with a situation that probably warrants taking more assertive action.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:50 AM

The heart is extremely important....it makes it an absolute brainless push....without the heart, its a really really ugly situation.