Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: chicken issues

[ QUOTE ]
am i the only one that just buys jars of chopped garlic?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not. And I'm a really good cook. I buy the giant jars, not the wimpy little jars and since time is at a premium, it really helps. I know there is a difference, but not enough to count.

Another time saver is to go to an Asian grocery store and look for ginger paste. Makes a great substitute for fresh ginger.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:34 PM

the difference between jars of garlic and fresh garlic is huge.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:49 PM

Not as much as the difference between microwaved storebought food and something homemade. My time is limited, I've got to cut corners somewhere.

And although I'll admit there's probably a difference, it's not something the average person would notice, let alone children. I'm cooking for my family, not the food critic at the NYT.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most fresh or frozen chicken sold at the major supermarkets has up to 30% water or broth added (check the label). In addition, they are raised in horrible environments that are designed to maximize feed-to-weight ratio.

Although free range chicken is more expensive, the improved flavor and texture is significant. You'll notice a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is my theory. I thought I was getting good stuff, but I really don't know the prices of chicken and was in a hurry. Are those Perdue chickens free range?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:12 PM

Try this
[ QUOTE ]
This is the secret: brine the chicken breasts. Take four cups of cold water and add a tablespoon of table salt (add more if using kosher salt - about 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons). Stir the water to get the salt to dissolve. Once the solution is no longer cloudy and is clear, put the chicken breasts into a large resealable plastic bag and pour the solution into the bag. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least three hours and no more than six hours (the chicken may become too salty). Rinse the chicken after you remove it from the brine and dry with paper towels.

[/ QUOTE ]

From http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article.php?id=6
Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 PM

Using the higher smoking point oil, per Born 2 Loose's suggestion, is a good idea.

It sounds to me like your meat just heated through in the slow normal way without getting any caramelization. Stir frying is supposed to be done with a really hot pan. That helps get the carmelization going too, which adds a huge amount of flavor. Either sugar or salt tossed in can help caramelization of the meat/veggies too.

I also wonder if you cooked the onions a little too long. If they have a little more crispness to the bite, they will usually have a little more flavor, too.

Maybe doing everything faster and hotter will help.

And a little marinating can be cool too.

Finally, when food is bland, adding some heat, as in peppers or hot sauce, wakes up the taste a lot and makes even dull food more palatable.