Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 06:15 AM

Default HU hand vs. Dreamclown

Literally first hand. He opens in the SB, i 3 bet A3o, he calls. Flop is 663. I bet, he raises, i call. Turn is another 6 and i check call. River was some dud like and 8 and i bet/call. We like?

I was going to lead or c/r most turns, but when the 3rd 6 came i wanted to keep hands like 45 and 57 around to potentiall bluff at some point. Also, given his action, is betting the river here sound? I am obviously never folding to a raise.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: HU hand vs. Dreamclown

i dont necessarily think hes folding a hand like 45 or 57 on the turn, even to a c/r, and hes going to pay off with A high soemtimes too i think. id pull teh trigger on the turn.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 AM

I would call pre flop, but if I had 3-bet pre, I'd 3-bet the flop.

I think you should check/raise turn. If he folds 45 or 57, he is making a FTOP mistake.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:17 PM

I am probably not qualified to respond here, but I will give it a shot. I don't know what caliber of player Dreamclown is. I feel like a deer in headlights trying to decide which line is best. The fact that he did not cap preflop but then raised the flop leads me to believe that he probably doesn't have and Ace because he has to know that you aren't going to fold and Ace. If I put myself in his shoes with a medium to weak Ace high, I would rather let you keep the lead because I will never make you fold a better hand. With a stronger Ace I can see him raising the flop for value, but his failure to cap preflop makes that seem unlikely.

So it looks like to me he either has a little (including draws) or a lot (a pair or better). Maybe with T high for instance he may decide to try to push you off of Q or J high, but given that you 3-bet preflop he has to know that you have a K, an Ace, or a pair pretty often here so that scenario seems somewhat unlikely. But if he does have one of these nothing hands I think you let him keep betting. With a pot size of 5BB prior to the turn betting, we should probably be pretty indifferent as to whether we want him to fold or to keep betting, but if there is any chance he will fire again on the river with a worse hand than ours I think we definitely do not want him to fold. Playing the turn and river passively obviously save us chips when he is in fact in front or passes us on the river.

I guess overall I think checking the river may be best.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 12-09-2005, 06:38 PM

(I'm not sure why you were playing him HU. You probably know your edge was really small if in fact you had an edge.)
Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what caliber of player Dreamclown is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dreamclown can be found quite often trying to start a 500-1K game on PR
Old 12-09-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm not sure why you were playing him HU. You probably know your edge was really small if in fact you had an edge.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Realistically, given the amount of HU experience he has, the chance of me having a long term edge against this guy is very minute. I discussed this with BK as well. Basically, i really feel on top of my game right now, and i have been trying to polish my skills in various areas of Hold-em, including NL, short-handed NL, and recently HU limit. Basically, this guy is supposed to be one of the best there is. He was playing 500-1000 ealier in the night, and i felt like if i could play him at 1/2, it would be a good gage of how my game is progressing, and i could potentially learn from the experience.

Also, the fact that I have observed his play but he has absolutley no clue who i am gives me back some of what i lack in experience. Basically, i don't think my long term expectation of playing a few hundred hands with him is so bad that i couldn't take away enough to warrant the experience. Furthermore, while i may not be of his calibur, i'm also not a total slouch and there is a chance i will actually make some $$$, which fortuantley ended up happening.

I havent played with him enough to know tons about his play, but basically he is generally solid and very aggressive, so you have to be ready to scrap with him. I felt a key factor in playing him would be to control the # of bets going in on weakish draws and multi-street bluffs, because his HU experience gives him an advantage in these situations. My objective was to see if i could moderate the tempo to some degree and not let it turn into the kind of game in which he would likely thrive.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what caliber of player Dreamclown is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dreamclown can be found quite often trying to start a 500-1K game on PR

[/ QUOTE ]

where he is frequently sitting with $300k
Old 12-09-2005, 11:19 PM

Which isn't really encouraging, but it's not intimaitdating either. I'm sure many of the opponents i play have bigger BR's than i do, but this can be a factor of them playing for much longer and having the time to put in omre hours since they don't have to go to school as well.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if in fact you had an edge

[/ QUOTE ]

lol