Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-06-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Cut Back Starting Hands When Frequent Cold Callers are Behind You?

[ QUOTE ]
D5. I'm curious, but at what VPIP's in the blinds do you start limping A5o/J9o OTB as opposed to raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually it's the SB's that is most important. If he's 60-70% with a low pfr% I'll start considering limping those since it's very likely he'll call and then a somewhat loose BB will call getting 5:1 preflop. If there's a chance he'll 3-bet then I'm raising or if the BB is very tight (15% or less) I'll raise. It also depends how often they give up on the flop to the preflop raiser.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:58 PM

K9s Vs A7s - Interms of equity they are probably pretty dam close, However with K9 i like to have good kicker(9+) and k8 gives me this as opposed to A7 that can be hard to fold vs aggression with ace on the deck.

i guess its more of my playing style, So it suites me best.

k8s/Q9s - i raise K8s(As said above, now we have better position slightly(Well vs SB anyhow) and a blind steal.

Q9s - Well similar reasonas as above, But id need a good read.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:06 PM

i usually wont attempt to steal from SB/BB if they are around 40VPIP+.

Although as D5 said, if they give up easily on flop when they miss to a raise... Ill fire away with raises.

So a 45/15/1.5 guy who likes to call down ill generally avoid stealing with marginal hands.

never thought about the whole SB thing, BB is more likly to call is Sb limps... Hmm.

Overlooked that!
Old 12-06-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

never thought about the whole SB thing, BB is more likly to call is Sb limps... Hmm.

Overlooked that!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the things that King Yao talks about in his SH section in Weighing the odds. He says you should very rarely just call a raise in the SB because you're giving BB odds to see a lot more hands and if you notice someone doing this you should try to sit to his left to take advantage of this.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Overlooked that!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the things that King Yao talks about in his SH section in Weighing the odds. He says you should very rarely just call a raise in the SB because you're giving BB odds to see a lot more hands and if you notice someone doing this you should try to sit to his left to take advantage of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah sweet, I own this book but i read the first few chapters and thought it was a bit of a SSH paraphrasing.

I'll have to pick it up tonight and read it then.

Along with TOP..HOH... HOH2...psychology... way to much reading and to little time.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah sweet, I own this book but i read the first few chapters and thought it was a bit of a SSH paraphrasing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed Miller wrote a review on it actually saying it was a great complement to SSH.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM

From Ed:

[ QUOTE ]
King Yao's book: Excellent. The author has a very clear understanding of the game, and it covers well some areas we neglected in SSH. My favorite parts are how he breaks down where your EV comes from and shows you how changing your assumptions about the situation change your calculations and sometimes your conclusions. The "If you have the best hand 15% of the time, then EV=blah... but if you have the best hand 35% of the time, then EV=blah," stuff is really important. It's how the really good players (at least 2+2-type players) tend to think, and it's explained lucidly in Yao's book. I only wish Yao had kept his original title.

BTW, I read a couple of threads where people compare Yao's book to SSH. I really think it's apples and oranges. They both cover counting outs and equity and so forth, but then they really branch off. SSH is about adopting a winning philosophy, and then applying that philosophy in a case study (loose opponents). It tells a cohesive story, but doesn't emphasize how things change when the assumptions change.

Yao's book does the opposite. It's short on story and philosophy, but long on describing how different variables affect your decision-making. I think both books should be read by anyone aspiring to play limit hold 'em seriously, and neither book is in any way a replacement for the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post2797170