Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 06-29-2003, 01:47 PM

Default Advice for playing two different tables at once?

I know this doesn't really seem like a beginner question, but I am new on here and only play like a "seasoned" beginner.

I have tried playing two tables at once and had "mixed" results. The quality of my play definitely goes down. Usually, I tighten up enough so that I am folding at least one of the two tables. The biggest problem is when I have strong hands in both games. I know, I shouldn't be complaining about having two strong hands, but I still want to extract the maximum amount when I do get these hands. I also notice that reading players becomes harder also, because suddenly you have twice as many people to focus on.

I am actually asking advice not because I want to play multiple tables at once, but because I am usually multi-tasking while playing poker online. I am usually reading email, bidding on ebay, doing online searches, reading twoplustwo, etc. I just wondered if there was some way of optimizing my quality of play, even while I am actually just playing in the background.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2003, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Advice for playing two different tables at once?

dont do it .Trying to play 2 tables at once and do something else doesnt make any sense. I have enough trouble if i am playing at one table and trying to do something else ie cooking.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:41 AM

I had to do work over a year to become good to contain all that one table needs to play it with full info it offers.

In the past there were no player notes or most sites didn't have them, so I had separate player notes and had to stick them in to my memory every time I played, against many players at that table I had notes off, so it taxed the memory also, that though improved in doing that. But nowadays one can often keep those notes there around the table, so one is much free from that, and in case one plays two tables it would be nice to have a preline of most of the players, if you can get those notes fit there in a helping way. I have hoped one could have one line visible under the player info on the table to make it more easy, but it's not offered quite like that; I once did that at omaha-8 (not beatable at/under 35%) manually (piece of paper that told the type of player), but I haven't had the need to use it since.

If one is still learning, like I am, I recommend one table and putting the effort to it to master it; there is enough work at least for three years I would say. But for those seniors who it's most all routine and they have notes of most players, it might be more profitable than playing one table, if they can beat a random table.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:12 PM

I routinely play two tables at once. As far as advice, I would offer a couple of things. First, you need to know what you are going to do in almost every situation. This is simple preflop if you just have your starting hand selection down pat. Secondly, if you have two great hands at once, don't feel bad about taking your time. Of course, how much time does it take to hit the raise button?

Playing two tables probably does take away some of the people reading, but it allows you to play twice as many hands! That is twice as many good situations or twice as many chances for your opponents to make mistakes. You have to make good mathematical decisions i.e. calling/folding based on pot odds.

BIG IF HERE!!!!!!

IF you are a winning player playing one table, you should be able win more playing two tables. If you are not beating a single table game yet, I would not try to play two tables.

Hang in there, and practice until your reactions to virtually all situations are virtually reflex. That is when you'll be ready to play two tables at once.

Good luck,