Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Bird Flu Preparation?

This is from an email a guy sent to me. How much truth is there to these things - immune boosters and pathoogen destroyers - for preventing the bird flu?

First, some proven immune boosters:

Vitamin D - Growing evidence suggests that colds and flu are, in large part, due to a winter-time vitamin D deficiency - which compromises the immune system. Take cod liver oil in winter months if you are not able to spend time in the sun.

Selenium - Studies show that people who are deficient in selenium are more susceptible to viruses. (Viruses also readily mutate in selenium-deficient individuals.) This mineral is scarce in the food supply. Brazil nuts are the richest natural source.

Lomatium - This is an anti-viral herb used extensively by Native American Indians for upper respiratory infections. During the Spanish flu outbreak of 1918, doctors discovered that the Indians who used this remedy recovered rapidly.

Astragalus - The best-known immune-boosting herb in Chinese medicine, research now shows that astragalus increases the production of Natural Killer cells and lymphocytes.

Reishi mushrooms - The Chinese refer to these as "the mushrooms of immortality." They are widely recognized for their ability to promote resistance to flu-causing viruses.

Beta glucan - Hundreds of studies have shown that this substance, derived from yeast and mushrooms, stimulates the production and activity of immune cells.

And here are some proven pathogen destroyers:

Oil of oregano - This has been shown to effectively kill pathogenic bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa. It also has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.

Garlic - Stimulates your immune system and inhibits the proliferation of viruses, bacteria, and fungi. For optimal immune benefits, garlic should be crushed and eaten raw. (See It's Good to Know, below.)

Olive leaf extract - A powerful anti-bacterial and anti-viral compound.
Pau d'arco - This herb, which comes from the South American rainforest, has been used for centuries to boost immunity and protect against pathogens. Research shows that it kills bacteria and viruses.

Colloidal silver - In the event of an epidemic, I would not be without a colloidal silver solution. It has been shown to kill ALL viruses and is known to be effective against more than 650 disease-causing organisms. There is NO known superbug that is resistant to it.
Colloidal silver is safe to take internally and it can be highly effective in situations where drugs don't work. However, I would never use this product on a daily basis (as some manufacturers recommend). It should be used only as an occasional prophylactic (see Word to the Wise, below) or to combat an illness.

Keep in mind that silver is not selective in its anti-bacterial and anti-viral activity. This means that it will kill your friendly intestinal bacteria as well as the pathogens in your body. So if you do take colloidal silver, you should also supplement with pro-biotics to restore your digestive flora.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Bird Flu Preparation?

[ QUOTE ]

Colloidal silver - In the event of an epidemic, I would not be without a colloidal silver solution. It has been shown to kill ALL viruses and is known to be effective against more than 650 disease-causing organisms. There is NO known superbug that is resistant to it.
Colloidal silver is safe to take internally and it can be highly effective in situations where drugs don't work. However, I would never use this product on a daily basis (as some manufacturers recommend). It should be used only as an occasional prophylactic (see Word to the Wise, below) or to combat an illness.

Keep in mind that silver is not selective in its anti-bacterial and anti-viral activity. This means that it will kill your friendly intestinal bacteria as well as the pathogens in your body. So if you do take colloidal silver, you should also supplement with pro-biotics to restore your digestive flora.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, this would, like, kill vampires and werewolves too!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Duck and cover.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 AM

There are somne homeopathic remedies that I believe in and others I don't. Universally however, I don't think any of these will prevent bird flu. They may ease some of the symptoms and maybe even boost your immune system but they cannot eradicate the virus. My understadning is that it is very robust. So in general, the better your hygiene and the better you take care of yourself in general, the less likely you are to contract it. I imagine there are a lot of homeopathic remedy manufacturers that are going to exploit the bird flu scare to increase sales.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:00 PM

I've been [censored] chickens for the last 15 months
Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been [censored] chickens for the last 15 months

[/ QUOTE ]

protein-enriched eggs! Perfect for gym nuts.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:15 PM

My family and I all have prescriptions for Tamiflu. It's good having a doctor in the family. Except when she makes me sick [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 PM

Short of an effective vaccine, there is only one way to prevent bird flu in the event of an outbreak. I'll share it with you right here...

STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE

That's right, head for the store, buy 2 months worth of provisions, head for home, lock the door, fire up the computer, turn on the satellite TV, and sit down for a 2 month session of 4-table "solitaire" while the world burns around you.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, this would, like, kill vampires and werewolves too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Colloidal siver will also turn your skin blue if you take too much.

I thought siver only words for werewolves. I thought you have to drive a wooden stake into a vampire's heart and bury him at a crossroads to kill him.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is from an email a guy sent to me. How much truth is there to these things - immune boosters and pathoogen destroyers - for preventing the bird flu?

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth is probably around 2% of what he claims, meaning some claims are technically correct but their value is far less than implied. Remember how Eichinacea was supposed to prevent colds? Lot of money in Eichenacea. There are many similar examples. Good deal for Dr. Rama-Rama-Ding-Ding. When you die anyway, you won't ask for a refund.