Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-27-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Unexpected turn raise with marginal hand...10/20 K3o BB

Hey y'all

title says it all. villain is very loose preflop and is a fan of the open limp. he is fairly aggressive on the flop, about as aggressive on the turn, but his aggression level drops on the river, can't tell if this is from calling or not betting...probably both.

my plan was to call the turn raise and c/fold the river unimproved, check-call a 3 and bet call a K. like it? hate it? bet the flop?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $10.
UTG calls, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB
Old 10-27-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Unexpected turn raise with marginal hand...10/20 K3o BB

Just fold to the turn raise, unless this guy is a habitual bluffer.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:33 PM

player with high flop agg doesn't bet an A? against a K I probably have outs to two pair and the gutter. I don't think he has 23. I don't think he has a flopped set, but maybe he turned a set?

I was really not sure on this one
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 AM

I would also fold to the turn raise. My read is it is one off those loose players that likes to limp in and ends up pick up the uncontested pots by betting whenever checked to on the flop. These guys also like to slow play there Axo on the flop when they hit. My thought is pot is small let it go.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:39 AM

I think you played it fine. I read him to hold exactly 5c6c.

I guess it's possible he's slowplaying something or turned a set, but in that case he wouldn't want to face the field with two. He could have Ax, but I think the A would have bet flop almost always and you have outs against most of these. There's a decent chance he's got a better K and you're drawing pretty live against these (albeit, mostly to chop). A middle pair is another real possibility here.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 AM

I think I fold the turn more often than not. Aside from all of the various "slowplayed" hands, you've got almost the nut low king. You lose to a lot.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just fold to the turn raise, unless this guy is a habitual bluffer.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way, I call this down. This guy was near the end of the action so a missed c/r on the flop with an A is unlikely. This is often a 5 or mid PP.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No way, I call this down. This guy was near the end of the action so a missed c/r on the flop with an A is unlikely. This is often a 5 or mid PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or even a 4; he's very often raising because he figures you're bluffing since it checked around on the flop. Since nobody raised PF, he's not "checking to the raiser" on the flop. If he has an A, he'd have bet it. Sure, maybe he's slowplaying a monster, but monsters are rare. Sometimes I've seen them raise in this situation on a complete bluff.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:39 AM

I check this turn. The pot is small and giving a free card isn't really that bad when it's so small, especially since there are no overcards to your pair. Someone is likely to stab at it on the turn with a bluff. If it's checked through on the turn then you give someone a chance to pair up on the river. Plus, a hand like 4x/5x/small PP might fold to the turn bet, but will call a river bet after the flop and turn is checked.

Overall, opponents will make more mistakes when you check this turn than if you bet.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check this turn. The pot is small and giving a free card isn't really that bad when it's so small, especially since there are no overcards to your pair. Someone is likely to stab at it on the turn with a bluff. If it's checked through on the turn then you give someone a chance to pair up on the river. Plus, a hand like 4x/5x/small PP might fold to the turn bet, but will call a river bet after the flop and turn is checked.

Overall, opponents will make more mistakes when you check this turn than if you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this