Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Pushing AK Preflop

I almost never push AK preflop. In fact, I can't remember a single time that I have done it in the past 2 months. Moving up to the 100's, however, I find things to be a little more loose and aggressive. This is the first time that I felt really comfortable pushing AK preflop.

Table history: I've been here 20 minutes. 10 minutes ago seat two pushed into me preflop when I had AA. He left and a new seat two sat down. This is the villain in this hand.

5 minutes ago I was UTG+1. I made it $4 with QJs. Villain called. I flopped the nut straight, we got it all in on the flop and he showed KT for flopped two pair.

2 minutes ago I was SB. UTG made it $2 (he was doing this almost every hand. Button called I made it $7 with AQs to take it down. Villain made it $12. Me and UTG both called. Flop came T8T, I check, villain bets pot, we both fold.

So on to the current hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($247.50)
Button ($125.90)
SB ($31.97)
BB ($59.65)
UTG ($63.90)
MP ($65.70)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.

UTG calls, MP folds, Hero raises to $4, Villain raises to $25, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP folds, Hero pushes for $250, Villain calls all in

Look standard? Since I feel like villain is playing back to me this is a pretty good time to push right?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Pushing AK Preflop

Your table history is not enough information to think he is playing back IMO. Fold to the reraise preflop. I'd also make it 5-6 preflop since I want to isolate the 60bb stack with this hand.

Edit: I find in the $100 game, players will rarely raise $25 preflop and fold to a push.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:41 PM

I never go all-in over a re-raiser in a cash game with AK just because I don't like my chances if I'm called. Especially if villain is laggy, because he just might call with TT, JJ, or QQ as often as KK or AA - all of which have me behind preflop.

Since I don't like pushing, I'd be inclined to fold to the $25 reraise. If I really thought villain was overplaying his hands and making too many continuation bets with 2nd pair, gutshots, or over cards, then I'd call the reraise preflop and then check/fold if I miss the flop, or check/raise significantly (up to all-in) if I hit TPTK (in which case I'd be screwed if my read was wrong and he really DID have AA or KK this time).
Old 10-18-2005, 03:42 PM

Wow. I figured this would be a perfect spot. He has shown he's a donkey (he 4-bet-pushed with bottom two when I raised PF on an AKT board) and he's shown that he's aggressive PF (3 betting a caller and a raiser).

What situations DO you look for when pushing AK PF because, like I said, this seems perfect.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:45 PM

I cant ever rationalize pushing AK pf without having tournament chips in front of me. Something about the fact that I will almost always have a better spot to stack them later just makes me not want to do it.

Is this weak-tight?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never go all-in over a re-raiser in a cash game with AK just because I don't like my chances if I'm called. Especially if villain is laggy, because he just might call with TT, JJ, or QQ as often as KK or AA - all of which have me behind preflop.

Since I don't like pushing, I'd be inclined to fold to the $25 reraise. If I really thought villain was overplaying his hands and making too many continuation bets with 2nd pair, gutshots, or over cards, then I'd call the reraise preflop and then check/fold if I miss the flop, or check/raise significantly (up to all-in) if I hit TPTK (in which case I'd be screwed if my read was wrong and he really DID have AA or KK this time).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling his re-raise is REALLY bad. Here's the thing. If you're going to get it all in on an A or K high flop ANYWAYS, what good does flat callling do you? AK wants to see all 5 cards against an underpair and your chances of getting paid off by QQ/JJ/TT go down drastically with an A or K out there. Also, if he's willing to stack with AQ it will be much easier to do it PF than postflop.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant ever rationalize pushing AK pf without having tournament chips in front of me. Something about the fact that I will almost always have a better spot to stack them later just makes me not want to do it.

Is this weak-tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm trying to find out. I haven't seen a good, mathematically based coherant argument that pushing is bad.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:50 PM

I almost always fold to the raise to 25.

Is your push attempting to avoid a coinflip/split pot or to get value off an ultra lag?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I figured this would be a perfect spot. He has shown he's a donkey (he 4-bet-pushed with bottom two when I raised PF on an AKT board) and he's shown that he's aggressive PF (3 betting a caller and a raiser).

What situations DO you look for when pushing AK PF because, like I said, this seems perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you cannot be certain that his postflop aggressiveness and looseness directly translate to preflop aggression. And the thing about seeing him 3-bet preflop before, well that could have just been a good hand... Since you haven't seen him get out of line 3-betting preflop yet, this play is pretty risky. I would no doubt push if I thought he was doing this with junk a lot of the time.

There are spots to push AK preflop. This situation most often occurs when the villain has 50bb or less. In a cash game, I find the value of pushing AK preflop comes from when dominated hands call, not from FE, and dominated aces don't call often enough with deep stacks from my experience.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost always fold to the raise to 25.

Is your push attempting to avoid a coinflip/split pot or to get value off an ultra lag?

[/ QUOTE ]

Value off of what seems to be a fish/lag.