Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Not hearing much on the Delay indictments suddenly

Now that Ronnie Earle's indictment(s) have been revealed for the partisan hit job that they are, I notice that the libs on this forum havent said much. C'mon boys, lets hear your support for good ol' Ronnie Earle! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Not hearing much on the Delay indictments suddenly

Tom Delay may go to jail or he may not. I think he did do what he was acussed of but it could be hard to prove. Either way he has been sidelined and I'm okay with that. Delay is an ethically challenged politician and if he goes does at the hands of an ethically challenged DA, so be it.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that Ronnie Earle's indictment(s) have been revealed for the partisan hit job that they are

[/ QUOTE ]

They have??? Really??? That's funny, I just checked foxnews.com and there's nothing there about Delay being exonerated. Please provide a link to this breaking news.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom Delay may go to jail or he may not. I think he did do what he was acussed of but it could be hard to prove. Either way he has been sidelined and I'm okay with that. Delay is an ethically challenged politician and if he goes does at the hands of an ethically challenged DA, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which indictment are you referring to? The first indictment wherein Delay was charged with a crime that didnt exist in Texas code or the second one where he is charged with money laundering, which he couldnt even get DeLay indicted on before.

What exactly did DeLay do that was illegal?
Old 10-05-2005, 10:46 AM

Where did I say he had been exonerated? But when DeLay's lawyer filed a motion to dismiss, Ronnie Earle, in less than a day, with a brand new grand jury, managed to get an indictment on money laundering charges, you have to start thinking maybe there wasnt much merit to the charges. And Im quite sure you know about all these developments, why you are being deliberately obtuse is beyond me.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:51 AM

Delay is accused of using TRMPAC to collect corporate donations with the intention of delivering them to politicians running for state office. This plan was alledgedly excuted by sending the money to the RNC with instructions of having them send a similar amount back to the Texas politians. If this is true this would be illegal.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now that Ronnie Earle's indictment(s) have been revealed for the partisan hit job that they are

[/ QUOTE ]

They have??? Really??? That's funny, I just checked foxnews.com and there's nothing there about Delay being exonerated. Please provide a link to this breaking news.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will just point to the fact that he was indicted on "charges" that weren't even illegal as proof of a political motivation. You can't really counter that, because it's a fact.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did I say he had been exonerated? But when DeLay's lawyer filed a motion to dismiss, Ronnie Earle, in less than a day, with a brand new grand jury, managed to get an indictment on money laundering charges, you have to start thinking maybe there wasnt much merit to the charges. And Im quite sure you know about all these developments, why you are being deliberately obtuse is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you see an indictment on a charge carrying potential penalty of life in prison as an improvement over an indictment on a charge carrying a penalty of six months to two years? Ummmm, ok.

Let's just say that I know enough about how criminal law and plea and charge bargaining work to know that it is difficult to draw any firm conclusions from the publicly available information. I can construct arguments "proving" that the indictments are baseless and politically motivated and I can construct arguments "proving" that Delay knows his goose is cooked and has been trying to work out a plea-bargain that salvages his political career. But what I *believe* is that we don't know that *either* of those things are true yet.

Obviously, you have put your faith in Delay's ethics. Ummm...good luck with that, I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 12:01 PM

To call it a partisan hit job is a bit ridiculous - that was the initial GOP talking point, until it turned out Earle had indicted something like 3 or 4 times more Dems than Republicans. The reason it hasn't been covered much is because there are no new developments.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that Ronnie Earle's indictment(s) have been revealed for the partisan hit job that they are...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha nice. I guess if the mainstream media weren't such bleeding heart liberals, then maybe they would have revealed such a development. Anyways, by all means just take those far-right sources as gospel.

You can make your arguments that he is innocent bacsed on technicalities as you please; these arguments may or may not prevail. But can you guys seriously still consider him an upstanding, ethical politician worthy of leading your party?

Check out David Brooks's article, "The Designated Hitter" drom the NY Times if you can.