Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:24 PM

Default I turned into a LAG, just for one hand though

Online 15/30. SB seems TAG with 19/9/2.2 over about 200 hands.

I'm in the BB w/ T8o. Folded to SB and he hesitates, then raises. I call (?)

Flop is Q83 rainbows. He bets and I call (?)

Turn pairs the 3. He bets I raise he 3bets and I cap (?)

River is nothing he check/calls (damn)

open fire

lf
Old 10-04-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: I turned into a LAG, just for one hand though

The only real problem I have is with the river. Your only hope when he calls your turn cap is that he was overplaying something like JT/J9, etc, which are not calling a river bet.

Given your line, I'd fold to the turn 3-bet.

Calling pf here is standard. I'd raise the flop and take it from there.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Hrm, yeah you put yourself in a tough bind. I realize this is online, but if it was genuine hesitation, it is usually an indication of a pretty strong hand that wants a call (or even a re-raise) based on the hands I've played online. Somewhat of a reverse tell, making you believe they are being unsure by representing a weak raising hand. The fact is, most players often autoraise out of the SB with hands they don't want to really see a flop with or figure they have an advantage with (i.e. Ax, Ky) but would like to see you fold PF or would like to see some level of improvement on the flop (for their own sake). They also tend to autoraise hands they can't see folding PF in the SB to a BB (i.e. small/medium pockets).

I think his 3-bet on the turn given he is out of position either represents a complete bluff or semi-bluff trying to throw you off your hand (with something like AK) or at least solid Q (AQ likely) or better (KK/AA/QQ). I think a marginal hand with showdown value isn't 3-betting the turn but rather goes into check/call mode or even folding. He doesn't seem to fear the paired 3 or the Q, so either he has the best Q or better.

I also understand your turn play, both in raising to get him to fold a marignal hand and in capping to now make him believe you have a 3 hoping he folds even a solid hand. When he calls the turn, he is committed to the river, and you are firing because its your only chance to win but you really have no chance to win by betting, he is calling 100% of the time here (assuming he doesn't misclick).

I think the real decision making portion of this hand is your cap on the turn after getting 3-bet. He seems to have reasonable tight/agg stats, and I'd doubt he is 3-betting here out of position with the intention of folding to a cap more often than he actually has a hand he is going to showdown.

I have a feeling most will say get rid of it PF as well, which I can see being legitimate, but I can also see the benefits to playing against a TAG HU with position, so I don't necessarily mind the call some of the time. Unfortuantely here I think you were dead on the turn and could have saved 3BBs by folding to his 3-bet. At the very least if you really must showdown, check through the river.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:25 PM

i'd fold to the raise on the turn.....????
Old 10-04-2005, 05:27 PM

I've studied the online hesitation move extensively in an attempt to determine hand strength. The results are conclusively inconclusive.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling pf here is standard. I'd raise the flop and take it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the 3 counterfitted the T outs if he has a Q or an over pair, I'd lead turn and fold to a c/r.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:05 PM

I doubt his hesitation means anything...just multitabling. I think like Steve said, raise the flop and take it from there but I would like to just call down over possibly getting 3 bet with a hand I want to showdown HU in the blinds.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:16 PM

your river bet is pretty bad.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 PM

Yeah. just raise the flop, calling down most of the time if 3bet.

Given teh line you took you can't bet the river. He's folding 0 hands you have beat, and callign with very few of the hands you beat that are left in his range.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:41 PM

I'm actually OK with everything up until the turn where I would rather call than raise. I wouldn't mind having him keep on betting with a weaker hand or check-calling the river with A high or whatever he has.

But once you raise and he 3-bets, I think you're in serious trouble. You're almost certainly behind, but 8:1 isn't enough even if you assume the best-case scenario that you have 5 outs. Gotta fold.