Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 PM

Default JJ early in FishTank Tourney

First level of blinds,and I have my exact starting stack of 2000. Blinds 20/40.Hero is on the button. UTG(2040) limps in for 40, and UTG+1(2000) Raises to 120. Folds to hero on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Any thoughts on rasing, or just calling here?
I decide to procede with caution and smoothcall on the button. UTG calls the raise
Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 180
I think this is a clear raise, but I am willing to listen to any other suggestions here.
Hero raises 320 to 500.
UTG moves all in for 1820
UTG+1Folds
Hero...???
I have to assume that I am behind here right? Possibly a set, or even a higher pair than jacks that UTG had limped with? But there are also other possibilities that I could beat, such as 88, which is about the weakest hand I can see making this play.
any thoughts?
-LL
Old 09-08-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: JJ early in FishTank Tourney

no help?
-LL
Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 AM

That's an easy raise PF. I hate playing Jacks against more than one opponent, and I'd want to see the raisor's reaction to my raise.

I think villian's push smells like he's trying to protect against a straight draw he thinks you have. Laying it down is tough b/c you don't have a read b/c of what I said above.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:56 AM

I agree that a preflop reraise,in retrospect, would have eliminated the EP limper, who ended up holding 55, for a set of five. But I also like taking a hand like this to a flop, when I have position, and can disguise the strength of the hand, and also get away from a dangerous flop with a minimum loss when im early in a tournement
-LL
Old 09-08-2005, 01:01 PM

I like a re-raise PF because A) I want that UTG limper out B) If he cold-calls a raise and a re-raise I'll be very suspicious. C) If the OR or UTG re-raises I can re-evaluate
Old 09-08-2005, 02:29 PM

Im a big fan of not reraising jacks preflop. I dont like it usually because worse hands tend to fold and better ones tend not to. I give myself enough credit to be able to fold an overpair on the flop enough times to save money against QQ KK AA. I think on the flop this is a pretty easy fold. You are beating smaller pocket pairs, but I think he just calls with a smaller pair. After he puts in a reraise, I'd let it go. FWIW I just call the flop bet and reevaluate on the turn.