Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-10-2005, 02:42 AM

Default More job advice - salary negotiations

A few of you may remember a while back I was looking at fighting for a big raise, or walking away from my job.

I found another solution. I will be moving within our department, under the supervision of a different manager (who is still supervised by my current boss). I will be moving into a supervisory role within another residential unit. Sort of like an assistant manager position, basically supervising one end of the shift. This is really exciting for me considering my age and the fact that the salary will exceed the ammount I had requested in my fight for a raise.

So my new supervisor offered me the job at salary 'x'. I get a call today from my current boss telling me he is putting through the paperwork as we speak. I'm supposed to be excited. Then he tells me what he put it through for and it's $1000 less than what I was offered. I balk at it but he tells me firmly that's the price. Then he tells me that's pending the associate executive director, who may need a little 'wiggle room.' The guy is a known penny pincher.

This is a game to these guys. How much can we cut costs? They know I want to move badly and they'll probably try and get me for another 1k before it's over. I know that my new boss (who, despite being supervised by my current boss, holds a lot of sway and is very well respected at the top levels of administration - I think he's been tagged for big things down the road) really wants me in the position and I respect him a lot. I also know that other (albeit far more experienced) staff have turned the job down at my original price.

My thinking is, if they try to slash it anymore, I will make my stand and demand the original price, refusing the move until they give it to me. Thoughts? I am in good standing with all parties involved (so far).

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Re: More job advice - salary negotiations

[ QUOTE ]
Take one of those 20+2's you were going to lose and buy the damn book. Seriously, it's like somebody dropping $100 at 3-6 then saying, "If I buy a poker book, I won't have any money to play with." Get over it, buy the thing.

That book is very good, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

-The Dude
Old 08-10-2005, 02:55 AM

Accept the $1000 decrease, but stand firm. Make it clear that it's the minimum you'll accept to make the move. This shows that you're willing to work with them, and it's a good compromise between demanding the original amount and letting them jerk you around even more. It sounds like this is still more money than the raise you asked for, so you're not giving up too much.

(I'm graduating in a week and I don't have a job yet. Take my advice for what it's worth. If my play here is terrible, please explain why.)
Old 08-10-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take one of those 20+2's you were going to lose and buy the damn book. Seriously, it's like somebody dropping $100 at 3-6 then saying, "If I buy a poker book, I won't have any money to play with." Get over it, buy the thing.

That book is very good, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

-The Dude

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks wacki. I knew you would remember that. Since I didn't make it to class, wanna give me the Cliff's Notes?

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks wacki. I knew you would remember that. Since I didn't make it to class, wanna give me the Cliff's Notes?

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow nothumb. The book is $3.50 on amazon. Linky And free at the library.
You can even get an audio book for $10. That would allow you to learn the material without damaging your precious little thumbs flipping those dangerous sheets of paper. You could finish it in 1 single night. We are talking about a raise for crying out loud. Plus it will help you in countless other situations.

Hey, can you give me the cliff notes on SSH?

Seriously man, what the [censored] is wrong with you?

Holy cow, I seriously want to beat you right now.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:07 AM

No, I'm willing to buy it, I just think I'll probably be having it out with this guy tomorrow anyway.

And I was also just giving you crap for being such a nit when it comes to posts I made six months ago.

What do you think of my plan? I think it'll work.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 AM

there, i ordered the book anyway.

NT
Old 08-10-2005, 03:29 AM

First off, I think nit is the most massively misused word in this forum. Does anyone here that uses the word actually know what it means?

Here, let me help you

Secondly, your plan may or may not work. It's all about the execution. If you read that [censored] book like I told you to then you wouldn't need any advice. Hell, you may not even be in this situation in the first place. Instead 6 months later your dealing with the situation like an ignorant crack smoking bastard. You're getting shafted, you know your getting shafted and you won't do the research or even listen to an audio tape. You've had 6 months to think about this. How can you be so street smart and so dumb at the same time?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there, i ordered the book anyway.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, now lets hope it doesn't decompose before you break in the binding.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:31 AM

You should get x.

If it was clearly stated then there really shouldn't be *any* discussion.

Frankly, I don't think you should allow the price to come down at all from whatever that figure was.

I wouldn't want to work for someone who offered me a certain amount and changed or allowed it to be changed.

Oh, and not that you've told them that you'd accept less money...but *never* mention that you would. In fact, even if in your mind you are ok with $1k less, I think you should at the very least get compensated for that amount in some way (I admittedly am not familiar with your job or what that compensation could entail).

In the industry I work in I'm pretty sure you can't offer someone a certain amount and then immediately offer them less than that amount. The company would lose credibility in a hurry and no one would work for them anyway.

Sorry...I'm pissed they are trying to stiff you for some reason...

I'd go talk to the guy who offered you the certain amount and make it clear you aren't happy with what's happening.

This unchecked agression WILL NOT STAND! Past this line you DO NOT CROSS!

The fact that you're willing to take the job for 1k less should be an extra 'out' in your back pocket...but from what you've said, it sounds like at least the guy filling out the paperwork is not handling the situation well.

Yugoslav