Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 08-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Default 1/3 of the way through August (almost).. some goal realizations

So I made a post about my goal to play 40k hands for 1BB/100 at $10/20 SH earning $8,000 plus $3,500 rakeback.

It's now half way through the 9th of August and I'm going to play almost nothing on Friday-Sunday because I'll be in Mexico, so I figure this is the 1/3 way mark for me.

First of all, 40,000 hands is a lot harder than I had originally thought. This is compounded by the fact that I multi-table like crap (probably due to picky table selection?) and only get 250 hands per hour in when I'm "4-tabling". Still, 40 hours a week should do it for me, but that is obviously a lot of online poker to play.

Second, this game has insane variance. Not variance I'm going to complain about (I'm running hot), but someone point me to this post when I'm in a 200+ BB downswing and remind me that I do actually know how to play this game.

Third, rakeback calculators are liars. If I actually hit 40k hands this month I'd only get $3,200 not $3,500... bastards.

And fourth, LAGing it up really is the best way to play this game. It's a relatively new style of play for me, but the advantages I can see while I'm playing are just amazing. I know I'm outplaying most of the table without even having to think very hard. I only have to think against other super aggros because otherwise I know exactly what to do already.

So, anyways, I am way behind my goal hands-wise and I don't think I am going to find a way to make that gap up. Maybe next month, but it just won't happen with me leaving for vacation again in 3 days.

If you care where I'm at and what my stats are, knock yourself out:

Hands: 8,451 / 40,000
BB/100: 4.88 / 1.00
Amount Won: $8,055 / $8,000
Total Rakeback: $700 / $3,000

VP$IP: 26.33 -- PFR: 20.97 -- WtSD: 38.11 -- W$SD: 53.59
W$WSF: 45.02 -- Att. to Steal Blinds: 36.67
Folded SB to Steal: 81.01 -- Folded BB to Steal: 58.59
Flop Aggr: 3.66 -- Turn Aggr: 2.84-- River Aggr: 1.69

And shameless blog plug...

http://metetron.blogspot.com
Old 08-09-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: 1/3 of the way through August (almost).. some goal realizations

Every post of yours that I read, you always hit the nail on the head. In this one you hit about 7. I'm grudging through a 2 week 30k hand experiment myself, so I can relate to your goals. I am, however, much better at getting the hands in and much worse at getting the monetary goal, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], because as you said variance is still a part of the game. You're also so right about the advantages of being lag in this game... I just lick my chops when I see that 19/15 guy sit down or the usual 21/14 TAG - because like you said they are pretty transparent.

My only question is to why you're only getting 250 hands an hour. I get really really close to 400/hr, but I do play a lot of 2-5 handed as long as there is a big fish available. Do you play slower, or do you just pick slow tables?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:38 PM

I'm thinking maybe I do play slower.

But mostly, my MT ratio is only 2.5 or so, so 250 hands an hour is about right.

Here's part of my problem I think. I get on the waitlist for 4 games (after checking my stats to see it's a good game) and I just leave those games up until a seat opens. So I may start playing 1-2 tables and a seat may not open on those other 1-2 for 10-15 minutes and during that time I'm only playing 2 tables.

I think my solution is to close the good tables after I get on their wait list, and try to find another good table to get on the waitlist for, rinse, and repeat. That way I'm on like 4-5 waitlists at a time in addition to the 2 tables.

After typing what I said above, I realize that this is very obviously the solution and something I probably should have come to the realization about a LONG time ago.

I'm using PE now, I don't need to be gathering hands on the table before I play with them... grrr, I have a new goal. Improve MT ratio to 3.5 or above by the end of the month [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2005, 05:43 PM

How are you going about using PE? 2 computers? VM?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:46 PM

Yeah, remote set up with 2 computers.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Lagging it up is great when running hot, but its freezing liquid nitrogen when the cold run hits.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:58 PM

Congrats on running well so far, hope it holds. I'm also curious what your definition of Laggy is? 28/20 or 35/25? If it's the first, then i agree 100%.

Gabe
Old 08-09-2005, 11:16 PM

Can you post your stats while your lagging it up. I'm trying to make changes to my game
Old 08-09-2005, 11:22 PM

28/20 is LAG to me. 35/25 is LAG too but most likely overly so.

And yes, when you get your ass handed to you while LAGing it up, it sucks big time. That is my day so far today. Still way ahead though overall.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:20 AM

Congratulations on your success thus far, I hope it continues.

[ QUOTE ]
And fourth, LAGing it up really is the best way to play this game. It's a relatively new style of play for me, but the advantages I can see while I'm playing are just amazing. I know I'm outplaying most of the table without even having to think very hard. I only have to think against other super aggros because otherwise I know exactly what to do already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone feels like they are constantly outplaying the table when they run hot - if you've found some magic solution I'd be stoked to hear it, but if it's along the lines of "bet and raise often" you're in for a rude awakening when the rough patch hits.

GL with your goals. Your posts seem intelligent and well-thought out, I would expect you to be a solid player.

Surf