Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who has written the best humor article to date?
GrannyMae 10 16.13%
Mason Malmuth 5 8.06%
Deacsoft/Ed Miller (not sure if this was humor or not) 0 0%
Lorinda 25 40.32%
Not sure (show me the results) 22 35.48%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2005, 01:01 AM

Default On the button, final 3, everyone short stacked

When at the end of a turbo tournament where everyone is short stack what are your requirements for pushing? Here is an example from earlier today (3rd pays 10.5%, 2nd 15%, and 1st 25% of prize pool):

Villian1 is at seat 1 with 259720.
Hero is at seat 2 with 206940.
Villian2 is at seat 3 with 169340.
The button is at seat 1.

Villian1 posts ante (2000).
SumZero posts ante (2000).
Villian2 posts ante (2000).
Villian2 posts the small blind of 10000.
Villian1 posts the big blind of 20000.

SumZero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

So there is 36,000 in the pot each hand. We have an M of 5.7, chip leader is 7.2, and short stack is 4.7. We are about half way through the level so blinds go up in another 2-3 minutes. What should you do with this hand? More generally what fraction of hands do you play from the button in this situation?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: On the button, final 3, everyone short stacked [results]

Results:

So the short stack called and had J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], the big stack called and had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Oops. Even worse the board paired T's and the case J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hit so the short stack won the main pot and the big stack won the side pot and I was out in third. I was happy with my play as I thought QJs was a clear push hear (and so far eveyone agrees). But I was trying to think of how bad a hand I could have where I wouldn't question that I had done the right thing. If I made the move with Q7o would I be happy with my play or second guessing? What about 97o?

I'm surprised that we've only had 6 people vote and that the votes are split equally amongst top 25%, 33%, and 50% as my guess was top 50% and thought that if anything I'd be tighter than average/optimal.