Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 07-14-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Latest chip counts from pokerwire

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oy, Oy, Oy! Aussie... OY!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially considering shouting "Oy, Oy, Oy" (or "Oi, Oi, Oi" if you want to get technical) is popular amoung neo-nazi skinhead bands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a reference to the BBC's "The Office."

Gareth, when talking to his friend Auggie from University, would say "Auggie, Auggie, Auggie...oy, oy, oy" a couple of times in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Oggy, Oggy, Oggy song (or however its spelt) pre-dates my childhood, although I'm not sure where it originates from. I remember singing it on Cub Scout camps!!!

The Aussie version has also been sung for years, normally at cricket matches once a few cans of Fosters have been sunk (i.e. about 11.05am!). Given that Australia have dominated international cricket for too many years, its a fairly painful song for any Englishman to hear!!!

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was spelt Oggi and was scottish originally but I may be wrong.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: 15 minute hand

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, after waking up this morning and reading this thread I am quite depressed. I am simply unable to believe the amount of straightfoward racism here. Yes, Tiffany appears to be something of a tool, and stalling tactics are a problem in poker, but there are an awful lot of straightforwardly, unapologetically racist/sexist posters in this thread, and also a number of posters that I have respected in the past that have made some extremely unfortunate comments, and a number of people that I have simply lost all respect for. As in any public forum, I'm accustomed to seeing minor amounts of ingorance, but this is just depressing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a thought. How about people (most people) are pissed at the stalling tactics used by a POKER PLAYER. Not a woman, not a black person, a freaking poker player. How is that racist? If it was any other player taking 15 minutes to make a decision on a hand, people would be upset as well. Quit playing the racist card, it's getting old.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Latest chip counts from pokerwire

It would appear that this is an Oggy

The Oggy Oggy Oggy (or possibly Oggie Oggie Oggie) chant and its numerous variations are often heard at sporting events, political rallies and around boy scout and girl guide campfires.
The usual form of the chant consists of two groups, one shouting the word "Oggy!" and the other group shouting the word "Oi!" Often a single individual will shout "Oggy" and everyone else will shout the reply. The words are shouted according to the following pattern.

Oggy Oggy Oggy!
Oi Oi Oi!
Oggy Oggy Oggy!
Oi Oi Oi!
Oggy, Oi!
Oggy, Oi!
Oggy Oggy Oggy!
Oi Oi Oi!

One possible theory for the origin of the chant stems from Cornwall. An Oggy is a slang term for a Cornish pasty and the tin miner's wives would shout "Oggy Oggy Oggy" when delivering pasties to their husbands.
In the 1970s the Welsh folk singer and commedian Max Boyce popularised the chant in order to excite the crowd at his concerts. It then began to be adopted by Welsh Rugby crowds at international matches. Soon it spread to rugby crowds at club level and eventually to many other sporting occasions at all levels.

When Margaret Thatcher came to power in Britain in 1979 a variation of the chant ("Maggie Maggie Maggie , Out Out Out") was adopted by some of her opponents.

The chant has also spawned a variation used by Australian sporting crowds ("Aussie Aussie Aussie , Oi! Oi! Oi").

Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice use of the flare tool.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that was nice. The sunglasses though, really show attention to detail.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, after waking up this morning and reading this thread I am quite depressed. I am simply unable to believe the amount of straightfoward racism here. Yes, Tiffany appears to be something of a tool, and stalling tactics are a problem in poker, but there are an awful lot of straightforwardly, unapologetically racist/sexist posters in this thread, and also a number of posters that I have respected in the past that have made some extremely unfortunate comments, and a number of people that I have simply lost all respect for. As in any public forum, I'm accustomed to seeing minor amounts of ingorance, but this is just depressing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.......everyone is praising Phil Ivey who's an incredible poker player,
very professional, and just happens to be black.
Everyone's giving Tiffany crap because she's a horrible poker player
and seems to be "something of a tool", as you say, and just happens to be black.
But when posters dump on Tiffany they're "racist" and "sexist"
and when they praise Phil Ivey you seem to gloss over thier comments.
Interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, have you read this thread, are you trolling, or what?

[ QUOTE ]
She looks like she was hit with a clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Oh no, the world's most annoying person and the woman who thinks tournament poker is worse than being a SLAVE on a plantation would be insulted.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Tiffany Williamson is the Condoleeza Rice of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I couldn't imagine affirmative action was ANY part of her decision (sic) to get in to either.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a classy move by Black. It is safe to say that there is at least one classy Black left in the tourny....

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this is cute? You think this is funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

while 3, 4 & 5 were incredibly stupid, as i mentioned on an earlier page. quote 1 is about her being ugly, which isnt racist. quote 2 is completely out of context. i believe the op was referring to when either daniel negreanu or annie duke(i cant remember) compared playing in the WPT poker superstars qualifier and compared it to being a slave on a plantation because the network was making more than they were. it was a sarcastic reference to that legitimatly stupid/ignorant comment.

rj
Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
More details from Card Player

Some of the details are unclear, but about fifteen minutes ago at the Featured Table, one of the female dealers was quietly crying as she was replaced by the next dealer. Upon further investigation, one of the players at the final table was apparently being very critical of every mistake. According to Greg Raymer, it wasn't the content of what he was saying, but how he was saying it -- every criticism sounded like a spit in the face. If you took a transcript of what he said, it wouldn't appear to be very bad. But if you had to listen to it ...

It's a touchy situation, and the crowd applauded her in support as she left the table. Soon after, Tournament Director Johnny Grooms approaches the table to address the situation. Before he gets a chance to speak, the player leaves the table and goes over to say something to the dealer. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but their body language and everything else implies that he apologized to her.

When he returned to the table, Johnny Grooms had a brief, quiet discussion about respecting the dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

F this cry baby s_hit. He was probably saying something sarcastic like "awe, is hold 'em too complicated for you." No, he shouldn't have said anything... but this wouldn't even be an issue with 99% of male dealers. Any guy would just roll his eyes at comments like that... but the highly insecure chicks have to run off crying and make a big scene. Pfft.

Only in a world where feminine mellodrama is tolerated and supported by the utpmost PC of people would a situation involving a player making comments that "if you read them, wouldn't be very bad" a "touchy situation."

Yeah, I am sure the tone of his voice while saying otherwise unthreatening words was just bananas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for that insightful, informative post about an event of which you obviously have zero knowledge. Comments from people who were there, even at the table, indicated that the player in question was a jerk. Glad you could clear this up with the straight dope.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote my response in response to what someone who actually was there wrote about the incident. It wasn't what he said, it was the tone in which he said it. Nowhere did I say he wasn't a jerk, nowhere did I say he should have said anything at all. I did say that this probably wouldn't have even been an issue with almost any other male dealer. If you would like to dispute this point by saying that, with the information available, you think a male dealer would also cry and make a scene in this situation, feel free.