Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 01:50 AM

Default 34567 w/ one draw to go in 2-7 TD

How often do you pitch the 6 and how often do you pitch the 7 going in to the last draw?

Against 2 opponents that are both drawing 1 in front of you?

Against 2 opponets 1 of whom is drawing 1 the other of whom raised and is standing pat?

Against 2 opponetnts both of whom are pat?

OOP against 2 opponents who both drew 1 last time, 1 of whom raised?

I usually pitch the 6 b/c I want the extra 2-outs and often (in my game) rarely will 875 lose when 865 wins. But every now again against multiple opponents with strength I think to myself 87 no good and 2's are not a full effective 4 outs since they are way more likely to be dead. But I'm not yet comfortable with either draw.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: 34567 w/ one draw to go in 2-7 TD

How often do you pitch the 6 and how often do you pitch the 7 going in to the last draw?

I seldom pitch either a 6 or 7 because I intentionally avoid this situation. Shorthanded, you're forced to play starting hands that get you in this situation. Even shorthanded, you're going to get murdered taking hands like this up against people in a multi-way pot with any kind of action though.

I'm pitching the 6, I guess. I don't know how I got myself in this terrible situation though.

Against 2 opponets 1 of whom is drawing 1 the other of whom raised and is standing pat?

I folded to the raise or bet or whatever it was.

I folded when either one of them bet. If they checked around and stood pat, I'm pitching the 6 because I think a bad eight will still win this. That might be a mistake.

I folded on the round where the villian was on a one card draw and raised unless the pot is somehow freaking huge.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:17 PM

I'm not calling a bet with this hand, and I'm always dropping the 6 if I can do it for free.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:15 PM

After posting, I thought of another interesting point. When an 87 will lose and an 86 will win, 8's aren't fully live. So, drawing to the 86 is even worse than it seems.

If you really think an 87 will lose, you might as well draw to the nuts since you probably have the same chance of making a wheel with 7543 as you have of making 86543.

Of course, you shouldn't really be calling bets to draw to what you presume is a three outer too often.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is a free card, I always pitch the 6. You're hoping for a miracle, it might as well be a good one. (You're right that the 86 is stronger, but it is often the case that some of your 8s are gone as well as the 2s so you have not necessarily increased the number of live outs.) Your possible 97 or T7 is unlikely to be significantly better than a 96 or T6.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I get in this situation multiway? I fold 345, 745, 763 and worse, etc. except if defending my blind against one player (an even then I usually fold 345.) In these cases I'm looking to draw a 2 or an 8 on the first draw and will seriously consider folding otherwise.

A possible straight like 3456 is OK to steal with and maybe play, but you are really looking to play heads-up and make your hand while the draws are cheap. You are want to hit a 2 (drop the 6), 7 (drop the 6) or 8 (stand pat) the first draw. If you don't find it, consider checking through even if a card ahead, unless your opponent can be convinced to fold (drawing three, say.)

A small pot will help you make the right play here by folding to action from the other players. Paying nearly any amount of money to make this draw is losing proposition.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold to the raise, there is no way you are getting pot odds to draw to a wheel, and your 86543 is unlikely to be good.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Discard the 6, fold to any action on the previous round.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold to the raise unless the pot is very large, and try not to play potential straights OOP multiway.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:35 PM

so he had 7543 and was drawing the whole way? is that reasonable?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:16 PM

I'm new to this game but I'm still not leaving home without a duece unless it's a HU match. Too tight? With 76543 I'm pitching the the 6. If I'm going to suckout I want to it to be big [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 08:38 PM

If you're folding 8543x, I think you're playing too tight.

There's plenty of hands that are playable at least some of the time without a deuce. You just don't want to have a straight draw.

Also, most of hands without a deuce are weaker. There's a lot of times that you have to fold them that you'd take a card off if you had a draw to a wheel.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're folding 8543x first in, I think you're playing too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're folding 8543x, I think you're playing too tight.

There's plenty of hands that are playable at least some of the time without a deuce. You just don't want to have a straight draw.

Also, most of hands without a deuce are weaker. There's a lot of times that you have to fold them that you'd take a card off if you had a draw to a wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not too weak/tight to be folding 3458x from MP to an EP raise, is it? I'm not really looking to loosen up too much yet (my normal approach to learning new games is to play tight as a drum and then slowly add hands when I genuinely understand why they are playable) but it'd be nice to know what you guys are calling EP raises with rom MP and the button...