Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Acting the same way and desiring a different reaction

So I'm a new 5/10 player and I've done pretty well in the short time I've been playing at this limit. I definitely recognize likely holes in my game which I try to think about in my free time or fix through advise on this forum. Anyway, I was thinking about situations where you raise preflop, get one caller, and typically bet both the flop and the turn. Invariably your opponent check calls twice. In this case, most of the time you will have either unimproved high cards, improved high cards, an unimproved pair. Against a weak player in this situation you would like them to fold if your high cards are unimproved and call when you have a pair. The problem is, you are doing the exact same thing either way, hoping your opponent will take opposite courses of action in each case. Is this unavoidable, or are there standard ways of exploiting each case on the river that I'm unaware of? Also, how often is checking the turn correct and why? Finally, how much does the correct play change when in or out of position?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Acting the same way and desiring a different reaction

Against a weak player with a an unimproved medium-small pair I tend to check behind more so than with unimproved overs. When the player calls your bet on the river (when you hold a smaller pair) he is usually not making a big mistake if at all. He is making a bigger mistake by not betting his stronger pair hands OOP. Overcards I find harder to play. I'm more inclined to take a stab at the pot if I think villian was on a draw and/or a high card comes on the river. Others will most certainly have deeper insights than myself on this matter though.