Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Backgammon Books

I just learned the rules to backgammon a few days ago, and I want to read some books so that I can learn the game quickly. I consider myself fairly intelligent so I wouldn't be afraid to start reading advanced material once I've got the basics, which I also need, because I've only played a few times with no idea of any strategy. I would just search amazon.com, but I've read a lot of conflicting reviews about books which may or may not have flawed analysis. Can anyone recomend good starting books or more advanced material on backgammon?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Backgammon Books

The classic: Backgammon, by Magriel
Unfortunately, not 100% correct. But still very good.

Modern and good: anything by Robertie. He's not always right, but his writing is excellent, and his errors, like Magriel's, don't matter, because:

you can get a neural-net program e.g. GNU backgammon, which is free, and plays a master-strength game. (Snowie and Jellyfish are also quite good.)

If Robertie or Magriel disagree with a program rollout, the program is right.

You can play on various backgammon servers, e.g. FIBS, the First Internet Backgammon Server, and have the programs analyze your play. Read the books, then play and let the programs teach you.

BTW Robertie is the co-author of the excellent "Harrington on Holdem".
Old 03-22-2005, 01:38 PM

Thanks a lot, this is what I was asking for.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:57 PM

Backgammon for Winners
Backgammon for Serious Players
both by Bill Robertie
Old 03-23-2005, 07:32 PM

I came to recommend Robertie books to you. That has already been done, so I guess that I'll make an anti-recommendation instead.

Please avoid Backgammon for Blood. It is actually an interesting read, but it is fundamentally flawed. I wasn't good enough to read it when I first read it, and it stunted my game. (Did that make any sense?) Some of his opening recommendations are just stupid, and he has an inordinate fondness for the back game.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 PM

501 essential by Robertie is a good place to start.
serious is pretty inaccurate and winning is probably too basic for you.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Another vote for the Robertie books.

I have a backgammon website I have ignored for a while but here's a LINK to a big list o' books and a bunch of reviews.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:30 AM

I've read most of the books on backgammon and the single best book to help a beginning player understand the game and become an advanced player is Backgammon Boot Camp by Walter Trice. It's available at the Gammon Village website. I also recommend the books by the Gammon Press.

Before you risk any money playing backgammon I strongly recommend practicing against a good computer program like Snowie or Jellyfish. These programs not only give you a world-class opponent to play against, but they will point out errors in your play and tell you the plays you should have made. The bots aren't always right but playing against them will improve your game immensely and you don't have to pay them money when you lose.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read most of the books on backgammon and the single best book to help a beginning player understand the game and become an advanced player is Backgammon Boot Camp by Walter Trice. It's available at the Gammon Village website. I also recommend the books by the Gammon Press.

Before you risk any money playing backgammon I strongly recommend practicing against a good computer program like Snowie or Jellyfish. These programs not only give you a world-class opponent to play against, but they will point out errors in your play and tell you the plays you should have made. The bots aren't always right but playing against them will improve your game immensely and you don't have to pay them money when you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Walter Trice is an excellent writer. But in my mind GNU is the prefered computerprogram. It is clearly stronger than Jellyfish, and it is unclear if GNU or Snowie is stronger, but Gnu is free, and Snowie is costly.

I would not recomend starting to play backgammon on the net about money before you have quite a bit of experince.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:55 PM

Not meaning to resurrect the dead but I too just started to play backgammon and bought Backgammon for Winners and like it. It teaches you the rules, some cool openings, and leads you through three instructive games. I am gonna pick up his other two pretty soon.