Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 05:03 PM

Default 15/30 AJo against a LAG and a TAG

Some stats on the two opponents:

TAG
Puts money in the pot preflop 20% of the time, raises preflop 9% of his hands, goes to showdown 39% of the time and shows the winner 52% of the time.

VeryLAG
Puts money in the pot preflop 68% of the time, raises preflop 16% of his hands, goes to showdown 40% of the time and shows the winner 36% of the time.

How do you guys like it so far? (Part 2 to follow...)

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Nightwish is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Nightwish raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(TAG)</font> 3-bets</font>, MP3 <font color="purple">(VeryLAG)</font> calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Nightwish calls.

Flop: (13.66 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Nightwish checks, <font color="CC3333">TAG bets</font>, VeryLAG calls, Button folds, Nightwish calls.

Turn: (8.33 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Nightwish checks, TAG checks, <font color="CC3333">VeryLAG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Nightwish raises</font>
Old 08-01-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re: 15/30 AJo against a LAG and a TAG

[ QUOTE ]
Some stats on the two opponents:

TAG
Puts money in the pot preflop 20% of the time, raises preflop 9% of his hands, goes to showdown 39% of the time and shows the winner 52% of the time.

VeryLAG
Puts money in the pot preflop 68% of the time, raises preflop 16% of his hands, goes to showdown 40% of the time and shows the winner 36% of the time.

How do you guys like it so far? (Part 2 to follow...)

Preflop: Nightwish is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Nightwish raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(TAG)</font> 3-bets</font>, MP3 <font color="purple">(VeryLAG)</font> calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Nightwish calls.

Flop: (13.66 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Nightwish checks, <font color="CC3333">TAG bets</font>, VeryLAG calls, Button folds, Nightwish calls.

Turn: (8.33 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Nightwish checks, TAG checks, <font color="CC3333">VeryLAG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Nightwish raises</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont hate it. I assume LAG probably would have raised if the flop if it him. TAG probably isnt fooling around given his turn check, I woundnt be too worried about him. I guess it's more less a guessing game whether or not LAG has a K. Given the information you have on him, I think he'll be taking a stab at it enough of the time for your play to be OK. I would check call the river assuming a blank fell.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:52 PM

I'd be somewhat concerned I'm beat if I don't improve, and slightly more concerned that I'm dominated if I do given TAG's reraise from my UTG raise. Does he not respect me/my image, or am I drawing nearly dead? It's not, at this point, that I'm even concerned about a K (though AK from TAG or Kx from LAG are certainly in the back of my mind), but that there are a lot of hands that beat me, and if VLAG sticks around he's as likely to show me one of them as TAG.

I think I agree that that raise is gutsy but that everything will be very clear from the next play. I think I'm a little overly passive and would rather fold than pay for information, but at the very least you should know what his read of you is after this round, and if you didn't going in it might be worth the price.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:13 AM

Hi Nightwish,

Stuck in the middle of a LAG and a TAG with AJ offsuit after I've been 3 bet preflop by TAG and then missed the flop completelty is not the spot I dream of being in.
I'm out on the flop and looking very forward to the next hand.

Given how you played however, I think your raise to get rid of TAG was a good one on the turn. Now you can get heads up against a possible draw.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:19 PM

Default PART 2

When the TAG checked the turn, I put him on one of three groups of hands. He might have a pocket pair like JJ/TT and be worried about the K. He might have something like AQ/AJ. Or he might have AK/KK/AA and be going for a tricky check-raise because he's pretty confident that the LAG behind him will bet. I think a pocket pair is the least likely of these because I think he's smart enough to know that he needs to protect that kind of vulnerable hand. A tricky AA/KK/AK is a possibility, but it's also somewhat remote. So I figured that his most likely hand was some sort of AQ/AJ. When the LAG bet, this presented a great opportunity to get the TAG to fold a better hand and hopefully go up against the LAG's draw. This is why I raised.

Now imagine my surprise when the TAG called 2 cold! The LAG also called. And the river brings no help. Now what do I do? Do I continue this bluff or do I resign myself to the fact that one of these guys will call me no matter what?

Here's the whole hand so far.

Nightwish checks, TAG checks, <font color="CC3333">VeryLAG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Nightwish raises</font>, TAG calls, VeryLAG calls.

River: (14.33 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Old 08-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi Nightwish,

Preflop:

Nowadays, I find AJo very troublesome UTG and dump it a vast majority of the time, even in passive games. I just don't find it very profitable in this position.

Once I'm 3-bet by Mr. TAG, I might just fold right there if it weren't for the presence of VeryLAG. Heck, even with VeryLAG, I don't like my hand that much, but there's too much money in the pot. I don't like my hand here out of position, and I'm not sure I'm rooting for an A to appear on the flop.

Flop: Loose call.

Turn play: TAG may drop, but do you honestly believe VeryLAG
will fold? Unless you think he's capable of laying down right there and then.

Flop or drop.

Garland
Old 08-02-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Re: PART 2

[ QUOTE ]
Now what do I do? Do I continue this bluff or do I resign myself to the fact that one of these guys will call me no matter what?

[/ QUOTE ]

You came this far despite better judgment in my view. I think you have to fire that last shell. The pot is huge now and you only need to get them both to fold a very small % of the time for this to be the correct play. Obviously fold to a raise.

Garland
Old 08-02-2004, 09:47 PM

Default Re: PART 2

Calling 2 cold on the turn makes it look like the TAG was trying to checkraise the LAG before you decided to do it for him and donate 2 extra BB's.

Check and fold the river.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Default RESULTS

I checked, and it got checked around. As expected, the LAG had 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for a very nice draw on the turn (if we disregard the fact that he called 3 cold with it preflop), and the TAG had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and took it down. You can't see people's faces online, but I'm sure he had a look of total surprise on his.

In retrospect, other than some weirdly played AK, this is the only hand that he could have that would make sense here. This fact, combined with the pot size, makes my river check really wrong.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:23 PM

On the flop you have about 2.8 outs, calling is fine.

The turn is well played.

A river bet would be foolish, regardless of the action, 1. if TAG calls he's got a better hand than you and after calling two cold there's nothing you can do to make him fold it. 2. If he folds you'd do better checking against the LAG.