Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Homosexuality, Homophobia and Evlolution

You say that you read somewhere that Kenya has "an astoundingly high rate of hetero anal sex". The logical question to ask anybody that makes such an assertion is "How do you know that?". Presumsabley, somebody took a survey. However, because this is something that people are very likely to lie about (or say "None of your damn business."), it is questionable whether anybody really has accurate data on the rate of hetero anal sex in Kenya, or anywhere else.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:06 PM

If I am interpreting the statistics correctly, 42% of the new AIDS cases are in gay men, vs. 35.2% in hererosexual individuals. However, the 42% of new cases is in a much smaller population than the 35% of new cases in straight individuals. However, it's interesting (and scary) that there are apparently almost as many new cases in the straight population as in the gay population.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:05 PM

Default I Could Be Wrong

Well I'm glad you reminded me to comment on this thread.

Since that post I did indeed look it up and found that there is now significant doubt. However it was fairly widely accepted ten years ago that that was the case. One of the articles from a major source noted that it used to be commonly believed (even amongst many researchers). Sorry I didn't save the links, and what I thought true now is in doubt (though by no means disproven).
Old 12-01-2003, 08:42 PM

That is true. I interpreted the stats the same way.

However, If someone is hypothesizing that this because of the persons gayness then I would object. It is about risky behaviours and not about gayness that leads to HIV.

My earlier post:
The worst possible advice to give a young straight man/woman is to tell him/her that he is at less risk of aids than a homosexual and that he does not have to worry.

Response to earlier post:

not true. its really not necessary for normal people who take moderate precautions to get tested for hiv once or twice a year, for example.

I then found the stats that showed that of new cases the percentage of hetero AIDs is similar.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:07 PM

if u ask me this could indicate (eg, a pointer to further research, not a conclusion in itself)

that

most heterosexuals who become hiv positive through sex get it from association with a 'high risk' group.

i'll let others elaborate.

and note that my advice that heteros shouldnt be as concerned about aids as gays holds only for heteros who do not interact with high risk groups.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:22 AM

most heterosexuals who become hiv positive through sex get it from association with a 'high risk' group.

Correction: most heterosexuals (and homosexuals) who become HIV positive get it from UNPROTECTED SEX with an HIV positive personl.

Just state the facts. what is "association" "high-risk groups"
Old 12-02-2003, 05:21 AM

Default \"Wanna Kenya?\"

Or variations thereof. Sounds like it could catch on 'round bars or in the bedroom.

It has a ring to it, gotta admit.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:56 AM

i can almost guarantee that at least 80% of heterosexual hiv transmission occurs when one partner is either an iv drug user or a bisexual man. ok throw in like prostitutes and 'extreme' promiscuity is u want too. (although i would just say that tremendously increases likelihood of running into one of the original two categories.)

p.s. i came across an article (figuratively of course) that said aids epidemic in africa from prevalence of iv drug use and rampant prostitution, with the unstated fact that condom use is very very low there.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:16 PM

What exactly is your point?

I can 100 percent guarantee that 100 percent of heterosexual transmission comes from a partner who is HIV positive.

Every time you have unprotected sex with a partner you are risking HIV transmission (and other STD transmission). Make an assumption of the chance that a partner has HIV (say 1percent or whatever) and BZ can calculate for you what is your chance of being HIV positive after 100 or whatever contacts with HIV positive persons.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:21 PM

'What exactly is your point?'

if youre not a member or dont associate with a high risk group you should be much more worried about unwanted pregnancy and ubiquitious genital warts and herpes.

why?

because most people are beat down to the point where they are fatalistic about big things (eg, death), but the thought of itching the rest of their lives must give us pause.