Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-21-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Set vs. set

So, the other night I played for about 4 hours and made a set 4 times on the flop. All 4 times they ended up getting beaten by a higher set. This got me thinking. Is there ever a point where you should stop betting a set when there are no straight or flush draws on the board? On most of these hands I just kept raising because I figured they had two pair or an overpair or something. What do you think?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Set vs. set

"If you don't lose a lot with a set..." blah, blah, blah

Give me a read and I might slow down, but not generally.

-Jaran
Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 PM

If you don't lose oddles of money when getting beat set over set, especially on a non-coordinated board, you are not playing it right!

NH.. move on ;-)
Old 12-21-2005, 01:59 PM

need to see the hand, probably nothing more you could have done.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If you don't lose a lot with a set..." blah, blah, blah

Give me a read and I might slow down, but not generally.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree. Watched someone lose 10BB to me HU with set over set last night, that was sick. He should have only lost 8 I think, but it's pretty close.

Rob
Old 12-21-2005, 02:52 PM

Here is one of the hands:

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: degroot is with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, villain calls, degroot calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, villain calls, <font color="#CC3333">degroot raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333"> villain 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">degroot caps</font>, SB calls, calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333"> villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">degroot raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333"> villain 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">degroot caps</font>, SB calls, villain calls.

River: (19.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333"> villain bets</font>, degroot calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
villain has 9s 9d (three of a kind, nines).
CO doesn't show.
</font>
Old 12-21-2005, 03:10 PM

Similar discussion in SSHE

There isn't really a specific point you should slow down if you suspect an overset; it depends on reads which can also depend on the specific board and preflop action. For example, you should be a lot more scared with 22 on a 247x board if an UTG open-limper caps the turn, than if I have 66 and the board is 6KJx and someone who limped after several players caps the turn. This is both because two pair is more likely on the second board, and because even "tricky" players tend not to limp behind with JJ or KK (though I have run into JJ in this exact situation before in B&amp;M's). Similarly an ace-high flop in an unraised pot is a good thing because of potential ace-rag two pair hands.

Generally I slow down only on the river if Villain caps the turn, or gets capped and bets into me anyway, but not before that point unless I have a specific read on that player...but that's in B&amp;M's. In online micros it could be correct to cap the river every time; I don't play them enough to be sure. Again it's really opponent dependent but thankfully it doesn't come up that often.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the good points
Old 12-21-2005, 03:18 PM

I think you played this hand fine. That flop call/reraise is a very strong move; I can't recall ever seeing that not be a set unless it was a flush draw trying not to knock people out. I'd still cap the flop but I might slow down on the turn 3-bet and I definitely call the river.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333"> villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">degroot raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333"> villain 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">degroot caps</font>, SB calls, villain calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the flop is capped and he bets out when an overcard falls on the turn. Villan didn't raise preflop, so I think AA/KK/QQ is pretty much out. You raise and he 3-bets. Do you think he's playing A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?

As somebody said in their post, tho, I think the most you could have saved on this hand is 1BB by not capping the turn.