Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-19-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Rookie of the Year: John Gale

What do I look like? President of the National Council for Touring Pros?

I would say "it depends" or "I have no idea" to most of your questions.

The size and shape of the poker circuit is changing so rapidly that an accurate answer for 2005 would surely be drastically different from the same answer for 2004 or what I could project for 2006. There are more than twice as many major buyin tournaments every month in 2005-2006 than there were last year, or so it seems.

As for the guys who seem to go to EVERY tournament (John Phan, Men the Master, Michael Gracz, Allen Kessler) I'm sure they easily meet the 25K/mo. avg buyin figure you mentioned. My buyins for the 5-diamond poker classic far exceeded that amount, and I didn't play every event.

I think Jesus Ferguson plays every champiosnhip event, but doesn't play any prelims ever. That might be 20-30K/mo. Men the Master seems to play every single prelim and main event at every circuit stop. His buyins could be way higher than that.

I'm not more uniquely qualified to figure out their expenses than you, but one of these days I'm going to do a detailed breakdown of my buyins, cashes, and expenses for 2005, and maybe I'll publish it on my blog.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He sucks because he won a big tournament. Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are dumb. nice.

reread my post. i didn't say anything about his skill, i even said NOT to take away from his skill specifically

i just asked, what percentage of his success do you think is based on the fact that he has the money to play a lot of the tournaments?

not caring about the money DOES help you believe it or not. it can make you play more aggressively and without fear. also, having the money to follow the pro circuit and buy into every meaningful tournament out there helps your results i'm sure
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 AM

If a blog is on the internet but it doesnt make a sound, is it really a blog at all?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What do I look like? President of the National Council for Touring Pros?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is the president of this organization? Do you have a web site address? I tried nationalcouncilfortouringpros.org but it didn't work. I'm interested in becoming a member of this organization and would like some information on it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:21 AM

If anyone had asked me about the rookie of the year, I would have answered Joe Sebok. Well, this dude here obviously had an even better year! Surprising that he didn't get the attention in the media.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not more uniquely qualified to figure out their expenses than you, but one of these days I'm going to do a detailed breakdown of my buyins, cashes, and expenses for 2005, and maybe I'll publish it on my blog.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please do - I think that would be a fairly interesting entry...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:43 AM

I'm friends with Alex Balandin who came second at that PCA and he had only good things to say about him.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seems like it would be pretty easy to spend $15-25k/month on buyins and expenses these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I'd love for some site out there to track all of the actual entries into tournaments so that when you say Player X won 800,000 this year, you can also see that he entered 28 tournaments that cost him X dollars to see his net. Not to mention seeing the total tourneys entered would give a rough approximation of monies laid out for hotel, airfare, etc etc.

Player 1 wins 400,000 in 2005
Player 2 wins 100,000 in 2005

Who had the better year? Before you answer:

Player 1 entered 46 events that cost $290,000 just in entry fees

Player 2 entered 1 event that cost $5,000

Now let's factor in travel and hotel and--

--you see where this would go.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM

Interesting idea, ROY award. I think Patrik Antonius had an amazing year (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=23225), but without a doubt (unless you DQ him for a weekly tourny at the Billagio two years ago), the RoY award has to go to Mike Gracz.

2.5 million dollars in 12 months, including a WPT title, WSOP title and the Trump Classic.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He sucks because he won a big tournament. Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are dumb. nice.

reread my post. i didn't say anything about his skill, i even said NOT to take away from his skill specifically

i just asked, what percentage of his success do you think is based on the fact that he has the money to play a lot of the tournaments?

not caring about the money DOES help you believe it or not. it can make you play more aggressively and without fear. also, having the money to follow the pro circuit and buy into every meaningful tournament out there helps your results i'm sure

[/ QUOTE ]

I never disagreed with you. I re-enforced your point. The only time where I even referenced your quote was for my first statement, and I wasn't insulting your thoughts at all. Don't assume I'm trying to discredit your thoughts because I'm not.