Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-19-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Hand against Chufty - interesting situation

On PS you can rebuy when you drop below the max buy-in even if you still have live chips in the pot. It's a relatively easy way to quickly get a 200 or 300 BB stack (depending on whether or not your bet gets called, etc.).

A 1200 BB stack like this is another matter. This is pot limit so you can't get 1000BB in the pot very easily, and you still have to drop well below 100BB before you can re-buy. I wouldn't be surprised if as much as $6000 of that stack comes from this kind of trick, but most of it must be legitimate winnings.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm never sitting down at the table. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

a)I dont think that big stack have any advantage in pot limit (I think opposite is true)
b)I dont think Chufty in particular has edge over me.

The table had some other fishes so even if Chufty is better than me it is worth sitting down [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think that big stack have any advantage in pot limit (I think opposite is true

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have to strongly disagree there since I've seen the damage super-big stacks can do.

It's no big deal if you are playing shortstacked (around 50bb), and don't mind losing it all, but say you are playing a normal-sized stack like the OP. A bet which is 50% of your stack may only be 3% of the super-big stack. That is a huge psychological advantage.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a huge psychological advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you or other players allow yourselves to be intimidated by it and play even more weak-tight.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a huge psychological advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldnt be if you are playign within your bankroll and have even bigger stack in your account ready to realod.
Seriously if bigger stack has psychological edge over you its your problem. I think that smaller stack should have advantage cause its only xx to call and bigger stack must worry about other big stacks at the table and cant "just go allin"
Old 12-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Yeah CHUFTY was on a tear yesterday. Between stars and party I think he had about 60K in play at one point (I was bored multi-tabling NL and sweated some of the big omaha games for a while).

I think you should fold the river barring some kind of read. Does he like to push you around? Have you been folding lots of rivers? Do you raise the turn with draws a lot? etc. Also, CHUFTY, in my limited experience and from sweating, would not smooth call the turn very often with the same straight. I think this is either a bluff or you are screwed. That's why playing with these guys has can turn into an expensive ass game of rock, scissors paper.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM

I would be interested as to why you think b) is the case.

Also, the way PLO is played now online, there is no way to avoid the good players...its just gonna happen. Which this hand showed. And this is much more true of CHUFTY than any other of the good players in that game.

gl

dd
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 AM

Default RESULTS

I folded. I now think its good decision. Thank you all for answers.

To BigDave : of course CHUFTY is very good but he is making donkey plays sometimes as everybody else. I am young and have big ego this probably explains b) :-) I admit I recently dont play that good so I am starting to have some doubts about b).

Best wishes
Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Punter,

The reason I said this was kinda subliminal. I *knew* from seeing you around that you are mostly a NL holdem guy. Most NL folk couldnt judge a good plo player from a bad one on the best of days. Even very good NL holdem players struggle at PLO, and often really underestimate what the PLO players are playing like. The games are that different. In fact we had a thread the other day here, where even experienced PLO players were talking about how hard it was to seperate LAGs from fish.

Now all of this may not be the case for you even in the slightest. You may have been playing PLO man and boy. In wish case I apologise.

But.

If I was a NLHE player, even a great one, I would sit with a very very open mind about who is and who isnt any good at a PLO table.

good luck

dd