Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-10-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Getting Owned - Help needed

This is not a gripe post. I felt I used to play pretty solid 5/10 limit O8. I don't think variance is the cause of my suckness lately, but something I am doing wrong.

I have tightened up my play a lot. I try to value bet and value raise a lot, but I am losing a huge % of my showdowns.

What to do to get back to basics of just winning TAG O8?
FWIW I am a 1.5/100 BB winner at LHE(5/10, 10/20, 15/30). I just cannot seem to get my O8 game back. Are the players at Party vastly improved since the affiliate thing or is it more likely I made a change in my game to make me suck?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Getting Owned - Help needed

Over how many hands were you a 1.5bb/100 winner and what is your standard deviation?

You've been around long enough to know that there is no way anyone can definitively answer your questions based on the information you have provided. The only thing I can think of is that if you value-raising and then not winning showdowns you aren't drawing to the nuts often enough, you are running bad or you stink at hand-reading.

Why not post a slew of 5 hands or so from recent sessions?

edit: I just saw that 1.5bb/100 stat was from LHE. Ignore me. You say "Get your omaha/8 game back." How many hands have you played of omaha/8? Are you sure you were a winning player in the first place? This game can play tricks on peoples minds.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:45 AM

Funny. I am having a similar run at 5-10 right now. I seem to miss every flop, getting rivered by idiots, etc. Maybe it's fixed.

I am chalking it up to variance, but the stuff that's happened to me this week is mind boggling. If you think you're a winning player, just stick it out. Keep playing your game.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 PM

FWIW

TAG has NEVER worked for me in O8B.

I play loose aggressive, and see lots of flops. My main philosophy is to play better than everyone else on the turn. I have a seen flop % around 47% on party for my last 25K hands.

I think trying to "tighten up" is a bad idea in this game, really.

As far as your game, post some hands.

GL

Tex
Old 12-11-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a seen flop % around 47% on party for my last 25K hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your VPIP is that high? Is this pot limit or limit?

I think that I play too tight - my VPIP is around 22%. How can I look to loosen up? The typical hands I will play depending on position are:
A2xx
A3xx with the ace suited
A3wx where W is a wheel card
10 point card pairs
Ace suited plus one other 10 point card
Prime cards like 2345
Big pair hands with a 23 such as KK23, especially suited

What am I missing here?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:22 PM

I can imagine that figure could be a little misleading. That number is taken from 25K hands of multi'ing 2 6-max tables and one full ring table. My PF% is considerably lower in PL ( mid twenties)

As far as my starting hand requirements, I play a lot of hands that players muck because they dont have low potential. These are hands like K Q 10 9, A Q 10 8, JJ-10-10, 6-7-8-9, and so forth. IMO if the hand is playable in omaha hi, it's playable in O8B. Now this doesnt mean i'm calling three bets cold with these hands, but I am still playing them. Any hand with three wheel cards in it, and A 2, A 3, or A 4, and hands like A 6 7 9 ace sooted.

Loosen up a little PF for a while. Just try to play perfect on the turn, IMO if you can play the turn perfect, you're going to beat the game for more, more often.

Tex