Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: something i have been doing of late

it could just mean that the tables are tighter which means that he has more attemps to steal the blinds. his BB will often be raised more because the game is more aggressive so that adds to his vpip as well. the 5/10 game has a 2/5 structure whereas the 10/20 game has a 1/2 structure so he might be completing more even though this seems contradictory to what i have just said about being in a more aggressive game. its very plausible that he hasnt changed any of his standards and his vpip/pfr naturally increased without running hot.

however, unless his postflop play improved (which it probably did), he almost certainly wasnt playing enough hands at 5/10 or is playing too many hands at 10/20. i see this kind of stuff all the time. people move up to 50/100 or 100/200 and think its ok to openraise K9o in the HJ as a standard when they never would have done that in a 10/20 game. its like they got a b12 shot right into their brains giving them a full blown attack of ego. if K9o is not profitable in a 10/20 game then it almost certainly isnt profitable in a 100/200 game, at least not as a standard.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I moved from 5/10 to 10/20, my VPIP and PFR moved up by 3-5% each without me making any changes to my standards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weird. For me it was the opposite. Fewer multiway pots, fewer bad players to isolate, more preflop raising by opponents, etc.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I moved from 5/10 to 10/20, my VPIP and PFR moved up by 3-5% each without me making any changes to my standards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weird. For me it was the opposite. Fewer multiway pots, fewer bad players to isolate, more preflop raising by opponents, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interested. I'd like to know whether others who have moved from 5/10 to 10/20 have experienced any particular stat changes. In fact, I might just create a little poll.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fewer bad players to isolate

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the difference was that I don't do this much. My (PFR-RFI) is probably less than a lot of people's here. Or rather, the way I look at a fish limping is I assign him a range, and I raise the hands that beat or tie his range, the same way I would for a TAG. I account for position but I don't go further than that and add in the fact that I may "outplay" him. At the 5/10 you'd think I was passing up money, but it seemed to be working for me.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:26 PM

I cant believe so many of you guys don't thikn the ~30/22 style will pull the most bank.

I'm pretty sure it will.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant believe so many of you guys don't thikn the ~30/22 style will pull the most bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted the same thing a while back and was mercilessly ridiculed -- until I posted my results.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted the same thing a while back and was mercilessly ridiculed -- until I posted my results.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh - I was reading this thread thinking..."Hock_...Hock_..."

I don't know if 30/20 is the most optimal, but it sure as hell gives me the most trouble.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Pokerbob- I don't think your original idea is that bad, but you might want to do it at whatever sight has the toughest SH games (Stars-Paradise?, i dunno) so you get a little closer to game conditions you'll have when you are playing your normal game.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:47 PM

i believe in 30/22. i don't know that your plan is the greatest though, bob. my VPIP went up over time as i became a better player and started finding more spots where i thought could play hands profitably. i didn't wake up one day and say 30/20 is the way to go, someone make me a starting chart. i just go and play every hand the best i think i can, and at the end of the day if my stats end up around 30/22 or 25/16 so be it, it won't make much difference. i'm the only one who will really even notice. i'd be much more concerned about improving my game and trying to up my winrate at my current level than playing 10x smaller limits just so i can maybe add more hands against far better players later. i guess you think hitting 30/20 will improve your winrate, and that may be true over time, but i don't think you can go from 22-24 to 30 overnight and expect immediate results.

if you really want to play near 30/20, well i wouldn't recommend playing out of the BB like flawless does, but like he said i think just doing a bit more stealing and probably a lot more isolating is what gets your numbers up there. i really don't think we're playing many more hands in EP than the rest of you. i'm quite confident though that slowly increasing your VPIP bit by bit until it gets up there is a much better idea than playing 25% more hands immediately.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:09 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]