Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: whats the most disgusting habit of your first date?
is badly shaven... 18 31.58%
chews with her mouth open (including having food stuck in her teeth for what seems like hours) 20 35.09%
farts 13 22.81%
Picks her nose 6 10.53%
burps 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Open Raise from MP (Poll)

[ QUOTE ]
I never openraise JTo from MP. Ever. (I probably should sometimes but I think folding as a default is much better than opening as a default)

There was a thread were BK opened in Hijack in a full ring game and he was told that is incorrect. If it's bad in full ring, it's worse in shorthand.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I guess I need to waddle home and check PT then to see how it plays for me. Any off-suited broadway is a natural open-raise for me from MP on. Raising with JTo early can fold out a couple hands that would have me dominated otherwise, plus it has great straight potential.

I'll look for that BK thread because I would be interested in hearing why that play is "incorrect."
Old 11-17-2005, 06:39 PM

did anybody vote raise for all 20 hands (besides aggrohushposter and spicymoose)?

just wondering for my own entertainment.
i voted to fold the A6o/A7o/K9o... i usually raise K9o, however, im thinking that it sucks.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:48 PM

dont check pokertracker. in fact throw that [censored] program out. no matter how many hands youve played you havent played enough to get an idea of how JTo plays for you in that position. i wouldnt be surprised if JTo is showing a profit for you in that position because if you had been losing money with that hand all along you probably would have intuitively started folding it. pokertracker will only end up validating your poor judgment if your judgment is poor in this case.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:55 PM

TStone - I was actually being facetious about checking PT. I use it, but probably not like I should. I play more on feel than on math - not because that approach is better, but because I am just not wired that way. Not that I don't fool around with pokerstove and all that, but there is no way I could mathematically prove to you my assertion that opening JTo from MP in a 6-handed game is always sound. I'll usualy just fall back on "raising is fun." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Doing it makes sense to me - but I read this forum because I value other approaches that I struggle with - like the mathematical.

Anyway...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:16 PM

im very surprised how A6s is being raised nearly as much as A8o.
I would take A8o everytim over a6s
Old 11-17-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im very surprised how A6s is being raised nearly as much as A8o.
I would take A8o everytim over a6s

[/ QUOTE ]

It is interesting that both of these hands have 59.9% equity against a random hand. Obviously that isn't the whole picture, but I think it shows that these two hands are at least close in value.

Against the top 50% of hands, A6s has 53% equity, while A8o has 54%. 3-handed against two opponents with top 50%, the two also match up quite evenly, with A6s slightly higher.

Although PokerStove isn't the answer, it does show you that these two are pretty similar in equity vs 1 or 2 opponents, and you will be playing similar in both situations. The only difference is that with A6s you will be able to continue after the flop more often because you will have a backdoor flush sometimes. This means you get to realize your equity more often.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont agree with that krishan. i understand that youre saying its worse to open those hands in a full ring game due to bunching effect, but in full ring games players are not as good in shorthanded situations as they are in 6max games. i also think your success in stealing the blinds rises in full ring games where players are tighter. in shorthanded games these days successfully stealing the blinds is a rare occurence.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are agreeing with me. I'll quote myself with edits.

[ QUOTE ]
If <font color="red"> opennig JTo </font> is bad in full ring, it's worse in shorthand <font color="red"> because in full ring games steals work more </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in the bunching effect. It's better to open JTo in Hijack in full ring than shorthand.

Krishan
Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 PM

bump