Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 06:28 PM

Default 88 against an aggressive player

Party 2/4 Full Table

Villian is 57/12/2.2 over lots of hands
I haven't isolated him much, due to the trash I have been getting.

Hip has 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] MP1

UTG folds, Villian Raises, Hip 3-bets, 10000 folds, Villian calls.

Flop (HU) 7ish SB

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian bets, Hip calls

Turn (HU) 5.5 BB

7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian bets, Hip raises,

Is this a good play, chip spewing, or am I ahead here most of the time? Just wondering what you guys thought.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: 88 against an aggressive player

Well, your opponent is a pretty big LAG. What I'd probably do is put in a flop raise but then think about just calling down if Villain 3-bet that raise. Or maybe I'd cap if Villain 3-bet and then call down if he led into me or checkraised after that. It's not easy figuring out how much you like your hand versus a near-maniac sometimes, and also I haven't actually seen this guy play.

What I wouldn't do heads-up against this guy is think about folding my 88 at any point. The decision I'd be making is how much action I wanted to put in. And I think I'd like to start doing that on the flop, though waiting until the turn does potentially increase your chances of getting Villain to fold, say, his ATo, and you don't mind if he does that.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, your opponent is a pretty big LAG. What I'd probably do is put in a flop raise but then think about just calling down if Villain 3-bet that raise. Or maybe I'd cap if Villain 3-bet and then call down if he led into me or checkraised after that. It's not easy figuring out how much you like your hand versus a near-maniac sometimes, and also I haven't actually seen this guy play.

What I wouldn't do heads-up against this guy is think about folding my 88 at any point. The decision I'd be making is how much action I wanted to put in. And I think I'd like to start doing that on the flop, though waiting until the turn does potentially increase your chances of getting Villain to fold, say, his ATo, and you don't mind if he does that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is what I've been working on lately, playing against super aggros, since they seem to donk bet me a lot. I didn't want to raise the flop because I was sure he'd three bet with almost anything.

I waited until the turn because I figured I was ahead, and also, I could get him to fold a 6 outer if I was ahead, or, if he wanted, he could call down with his Ace high.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 PM

I tend to call down here if I know he'll bet all streets with Ace high UI.

Rob
Old 09-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Gosh, I can't answer this question until you tell me how big the pot is. I'm lazy and don't want to count it myself. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

my bad. You did include the pot size; I just didn't know what 5ish was at first.

---------------------

I think this is a scenario where you can make the most when you're ahead by playing passivly, and lose the least when you're behind in the same way. On the other hand, if he'll call down with Ace high, then your line is good. What's your plan if he 3bets the turn?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:02 AM

I'd just call p/f, put in a raise on the flop, and then just call down from there.

bc
Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just call p/f, put in a raise on the flop, and then just call down from there.

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't I really want to isolate this guy here though? I don't want donks cold calling with trashy overcards. I want them out.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

bc

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't I really want to isolate this guy here though? I don't want donks cold calling with trashy overcards. I want them out.

[/ QUOTE ]
If youre going to play the hand I think you have to 3bet in the typical online game. If the game was super-loose and many people behind would call 2 cold than there could be an argument for just calling to play 88 for its set value. That said, I understand your opponents stats and why you 3 bet him. However it appears to me that your opponent is loose, but he's not all that loose of a raiser. I would fold 88 in this spot vs his early position raise. I think the villains raise from that position deserves more respect. Post flop, I would play it the same way you did, just call the flop and raise the turn and hope he folds his 6 outer. If he 3 bets the turn, I'm folding unless he's a real maniac.