Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-08-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Dumb minimum raises.

i see it at the higher limits too. always by the weakest players with very little understanding of the game. i was just wondering what these players think they are accomplishing.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 AM

Default bobby hoff did it

In the big UB game DaWiz minraised from the blind twice vs multiple limpers. He took the pot with a bet on the flop both times. I don't think he is stupid.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: bobby hoff did it

The mini raise in LP is bad, but if you're at a passive table and no one will re-raise in EP, then you're building the pot for when you hit your 77.

Additionally if many have limped, and BB is known frisky assclown, you mini-raise with AA, he pops it, and UTG is having none of that...well, a lot of ifs, but you get the idea.

Raising from BB and SB to steal from limpers is great. You can punish people for being passive and get paid better when you hit.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: bobby hoff did it

Are you talking about ONLY about minraises PF?

If so then yes I don't understand those except for the suited connector minraise in a 5+ handed pot. (not that I'm saying that is a move I like, but it's not god awful).

Min raising post flop a lot of people on here tend to think min raise = monster.

I don't think this is as hard and stead a rule as a lot of people advocate. I remember reading an article by daniel negreanu where he said he uses the min raise to appear as if he's trying to find out if his hand is good.

The hand in question was:

DN holds J 10 vs aggressive opponent (I think david oppenheim), flop comes down A K Q. DN checks, oppenhein bets, DN min raises. He said he min raised to represent Ace weak kicker to make it appear as if he was trying to figure out of his hand was good. An aggressive opponent would pick up on this and come back over the top of him (which is what he wants in this case with the nuts).

I have seen this particular example of the min raise used a lot. For example a hand I had where I had raised UTG PF with QQ, flop came down T 9 3. I lead out and get min raised by MP. I end up folding QQ to 88. He just wanted to see if I had overcards only and his 88 was good.

Certainly there are examples when a minraise = the nuts, but that's usually when the minraise in itself is a large amount.

Actually now that I think about it I've come to a better conclusion on what I think the minraise means. If it's a relatively small minraise, it probably denotes the person just trying to find out if their hand is good, where as if the minraise represents a large portion of the stacks it's probably the nuts.

aight peace
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 AM

I do the min raise, I think there's plenty of value to it (if executed correctly). To make a blanket statement "it's dumb" means you obviously suck at poker. You need a bigger arsenel of tricks, my friend.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 AM

the other day I watched a full table of people just min-raise the whole time. Pre-flop, on the flop, on the turn, and the river. it was crazy.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:18 AM

it's called limit.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:55 AM

i think amulet is a gimmick account

it would be even awesomer if it was mike l's gimmick account
Old 09-09-2005, 10:18 AM

I remember ZeeJustin posted asking about the min preflop raise when I first started on here, when I used to minraise preflop. From what I've seen, early position minraise can be a monster, but is typically JJ-66, AQ-AT, KQ. In later position I expect to see 44-TT, AJ-AT, KQ-KJ, Axs. Typically these players are trying to build a pot for their pocket pairs in case they hit sets, or try and show some aggression in case it checks to them on the flop, they can take down an easy pot. I myself thrive on these types of players and can't get enough of reraising them. Nothing better than having a pot-builder with a pocket pair looking to invest 2BBs in order to try and flop a set into a 8-10BB pot, and then having him pay 6BBs and trying to flop a set into a pot heads up against me. Just remembered an interesting hand from yesterday where I limp reraised aces, and a beautiful minraise setup the pot perfectly for me. Enjoy,
-Ace

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (10 handed) converter

CO ($298.20)
Button ($625.65)
SB ($433.25)
BB ($380.60)
UTG ($408.40)
Hero ($363)
UTG+2 ($482)
MP1 ($856.85)
MP2 ($1132.99)
MP3 ($441.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2. UTG posts a blind of $4.
Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $4, MP2 calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, SB (poster) calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, MP1 calls $36, MP2 folds, Button calls $32, SB calls $32.

Flop: ($168) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($168) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $100</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $75.

River: ($368) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: $368

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB doesn't show.
Hero has Ad Ac (one pair, aces).
Button has 9c 2c (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins $368. </font>
Old 09-09-2005, 11:05 AM

no offense but your flop check sucks