Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Unimproved AK on the flop

Sorry if this sounds too general, but I have two questions.

In what situations should I be raising with unimproved AK after the flop when bet into?

In what situations should I check unimproved AK on the flop when checked to?

Assume a full game like the Party 15/30. Also assume that I put the last raise before the flop.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Unimproved AK on the flop

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this sounds too general, but I have two questions.

In what situations should I be raising with unimproved AK after the flop when bet into?

In what situations should I check unimproved AK on the flop when checked to?

Assume a full game like the Party 15/30. Also assume that I put the last raise before the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
My responses may be too general so i apologize ahead of time. I'll just tell you how I play AK unimproved. If I'm against 4 or more opponents I almost never bet my AK unimproved. The exceptions are if I think I flopped the best hand. Like If the flop comes out 882, your AK could easily be the best hand so you need to bet here to protect it. And If I am at an extremely passive table and I am in late position I may bet if I think I can get a free card on the turn, but most of the time you should be taking your free card right away on the flop. Against two opponents the flop has to come out real bad not to bet here, like a Q98 type of flop or 987, but most of the time you should be betting against two opponents. So the real tricky part is when you are against 3 opponents. Most of the time you should be checking against 3 opponents but there are many flops you should still bet like 10h 7c 3s, I would bet this type of flop vs 3 opponents. Or Qh 7c 2s, I would bet this flop too as there is enough chance that everyone will fold this type of flop to make your bluff profitable. But if the flop comes out Qh 9s 5c, you should not be betting against 3 opponents but against 2 opponents i would bet. As far as what situations you should raise your ak unimproved when bet into, I'll leave that topic for someone else to tackle but keep in mind most of the time you should be either calling or folding instead of raising as your 6 out draw is usually not worth investing that much money. Also, if you want to learn more on how to play overcards the best source in my opinion is Bob Ciaffonne's "Middle Limit Holdem" book, that book has an excellect chapter dedicated to playing overcards and it is nothing short of excellent. Small stakes holdem also has a good chapter on how to play overcards, if you study these two chapters and combine that with more and more experience you will be in good shape.