Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Lame bankroll question

I went from full ring limit to 6-max NL in March and never looked back.

Went thru the 25s, 50s, 100s, now in the 200s. About 50K hands in that time. I know the normal recommendation is 20 buyins for the level, but I've always gone with 10, and feel like it's plenty.

Now let me say i would not hesitate for 1 second to drop back a level if my roll got down to 10 buyins for the lower level. This would take a 5 buyin downswing, which I haven't had yet, thankfully.

I have always been very protective and conservative with my roll, in that I would never take a shot at a level way over my roll or move up to try and make back losses.

As long as I'm willing to drop down, I don't see how I could ever go broke. Am I crazy? Am I just asking for trouble?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Lame bankroll question

[ QUOTE ]
Lame bankroll question

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Lame bankroll question

Not to me. I do the same thing - only 10 buy ins. In about 50k hands I've never dropped half of those 10 buyins (10 for the lower level). So, sounds like we're in the exact same boat. I always thought the 20x level was a bit excessive.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I crazy? Am I just asking for trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and this is why:

[ QUOTE ]
I have always been very protective and conservative with my roll, in that I would never take a shot at a level way over my roll or move up to try and make back losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your only risk is that you are going to bounce between levels a lot more than someone who gives themselves that extra cushion...
Old 08-18-2005, 02:48 PM

20x assumes that you are a winning player who doesn't want to have to drop down. If you're willing to drop down when you hit 10x for the lower level you will be fine. Many people find this tough though.

Once again, this all assumes you are a long term winning player.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your only risk is that you are going to bounce between levels a lot more than someone who gives themselves that extra cushion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I like to bounce around anyway, though. I won't hesitate to play a 50 or even a 25 if I'm in the mood or one of my favorite "friends" is at the table [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I always bounce down, though. Never up.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:26 PM

my opinion on all of the BR stuff is that it is all about comfort. some winning players only keep 10-15 buy-ins in their roll and r comfortable and can play their A game when they drop 30% of their roll. i am a super emotional person on the other hand. i have a roll that is bigger than what many would say is needed for a level up. i don't need the money, if i dropped my whole BR it wouldn't affect my life one bit. i do tend to play worse when i drop even 4-5% of my roll in a day. i am in no hurry to move up the levels or make a buck out of the poker boom. i love playing and want to be the best player i am capable of being...

so in addition to your comfort level, i think u need to examine your goals and what u want out of poker.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:33 PM

I like your plan. Personally, I might go with 15, but I agree that ten should be okay.